The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It should mean nothing. It means that after agreeing to see X number of cars at MSRP, they are no changing to a market value. The important thing is that the dealer not screw around and offer $$ incentives to move up on the list. But nothing I read here indicates that.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, since I am number 83, they are going to guarantee at least 83 cars sold at MSRP and then the rest they sell at market?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
nxm150 said:
So, since I am number 83, they are going to guarantee at least 83 cars sold at MSRP and then the rest they sell at market?
That would be how I understand it. I don't think that this is that uncommon. Most dealers agreed to sell the cars and take waiting lists at MSRP. But not forever.

Some dealers held out places in line. So the first 4 cars belong to the dealers to sell at whatever market will bear. I don't have a problem with that, as you still knew your place when you put your money down.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The important thing is that the dealer not screw around and offer $$ incentives to move up on the list. But nothing I read here indicates that.
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment. If there are at least 83 orders guaranteed for MSRP, that means almost the entire first year of allocation will be sold for MSRP. Assuming that the first year's allocation at Criswell is 100 units, do you think cars will be going for over MSRP for the second year? It's possible, but it makes more sense to charge over MSRP for the first cars because they attract those willing to pay extra. So I think buyers offered to pay more than MSRP could be slipped in early, possibly.

On the positive side (for MSRP deposit holders), is that there will be many more deposits placed at each dealership after the LA Autoshow and up until the time the list is being served. This creates potential for Criswell to get over MSRP well after the minimum of 83 MSRP orders are filled.

The third thing that might happen is that they will not be able to get over MSRP after 83 orders, because of the large amount of dealers only charging MSRP, and they will lower their price. I remember seeing the same $15k over MSRP M3 sittting in a Bay Area dealership for months.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The linked thread is the one I started over at the official Lotus forums. I wrote an email to them stating that I can get MSRP at Manhattan motors. Their response was that they will talk to the new car manager. I am going to wait for their response before I send my check to Manhattan Motors. I would much rather deal with a company that is 20 minutes away than one that is 4 hours away. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is what I just got from Criswell. Looks like they changed their mind about the MSRP thing. I will call them after lunch and get everything straightened out.

Matt,

They will guarantee the Elise at MSRP if you would like to place a deposit.

Stephanie Zaremba
Internet Manager
Criswell Automotive
Ph: 301.212.4513
Fax: 301.212.4530

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, unfortunately for you, the last I remember was Criswell was over 120 orders.

·
Registered
67 Posts
At first, they said I would probably be somewhere around #120 in line. Once they received my deposit, they told me that I am actually #93. Much better. Still not great, but much better. I need to save up anyway. I am thinking Burgandy Red right now with the sport package. Hmmm. I will be dreaming about this for the next year or so.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm....why did a previous thread report around 120 then? My paper says late Oct 2004.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Like I said, they originally told me #120 or so. That sounded right to me since I read the same on this forum somewhere. Then they told me I was #93.

I am pretty charming and it was a saleswomen, so maybe that would explain it. We are going out to dinner tonight! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts