The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lotustalkers,

On our way to the start of the Autoweek America Adenture, someone in front of us nailed a deer and I hit a big chunk of what was left.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/arewethereyet_aa/8111440514/lightbox/

The car is driveable but I need a mechanic to double check it before I do a rally race with a cracked front. My main worry is the radiator and the front oil coolers & lines.

I parked it tonight in Wendover NV...hope to take it to a shop in northeast NV or Utah. Anyone know of one that might be able to take it tomorrow?

Thanks!

-Erik

·
Registered
577 Posts
Joe at Turbo Lab in Orem (about 45 minutes south of SLC) does the work on my car and a couple other Lotus in town. Their main number is 801-802-6124 and his cell is 801 372 6610. Tell him Jeff with the red Lotus gave you his number.

Your other option is Steve Harris Imports at (801) 521-0340. They are in Salt Lake itself. They were the local Lotus dealer, it seems they aren't any longer, but they still work on Lotus cars. I can't speak for them, because I heard some negative things about them (but that's just hearsay) and I've already got a guy who knows Lotus.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation! Will call them. Hopefully I can still do the event and just fix the clam when it's over but I will feel much better knowing its mechanically sound.

Cheers!

-Erik

·
Registered
577 Posts
I guess your other option if you just want a second opinion is to come see me in Draper, Utah. I'm not an official mechanic but if you've seen my fixing everything at once thread, you'll see I'm fairly handy with a wrench, if you've got the missing chunk from the middle still we could probably do a quick and dirty fiberglasss patch.

I think your biggest issue is that to check out what you want checked out properly the front clam really should come off, and that takes a bit of time. That being said, Joe has "Dashed" from this site's lotus in his shop right now (at least when I stopped by last week he did) and they removed the front clam of his just a couple weeks ago, so the process is fresh in there minds. Justin who works there said it took him roughly an hour. It takes me more like 2 hours.

I wouldn't be offended at all if you want an experts vs an amateurs help, but if you decide you'd like my help feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man - we are limping to his shop now. I really appreciate the offer and might hit you up depending on what he says. My goal is to secure the lines (zip tied them again) and give a quick check then do a quickie patch job on the front lip if everything is "okay" and I will deal with a real repair after the AW "race"

Will let you know how we make out - thanks again for everything!

-Erik

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jeff,

Great recommendation! Not only did Joe and Justin drop everything to get the car checked out, they patched the front with carbon fiber and a new mesh grill. We are back on the way to the start of the race.

TurboLab rocks! When I am not doing this from my phone, I will post more, but they totally saved the day.

From deer strike to race ready in a couple hours...awesome,

Thanks again for the referral!

-Erik

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No doubt-and they are doing more with lotus (but I suspect you know that).

This is a "quick fix" ... Joe apologize that he didnt have time to make it cleaner...They are pros!

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1350969474.169268.jpg

Justin braved crawling under the car after hosing it down...deer blood dripping out (and all around a mess) and got the job done.

Great guys, great service...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well, I just have to say you sure picked the hard way to get yourself a shaved plinth!

Looks pretty good for a quick and dirty patch.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I just have to say you sure picked the hard way to get yourself a shaved plinth!
No doubt!!! Well we made it to the start of the race (with a stop in Denver to fix the alignment). Thanks Sector111 for getting us shims in time.

Tomorrow morning, Pikes Peak! Then who knows for a week...ending at SEMA.

Follow the craziness at theamericaadventure.com

Can't say if we will be competitive, but will try to be entertaining!

Cheers!

-Erik

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sounds like a really cool event. I just liked your team on facebook, and am looking forward to following along. Hope everything from here on out goes smoothly.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts