The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAn anyone list what is different between an Esprit (late model G car) w/a US chassis and a Canadian one? Speedo in km's? driving lights? tire size? ground clearance? mirror placement/size? And a hundrfed other things that could be's. Thanks.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,697 Posts
Not sure specifically...the folks to ask would be LCU (Lotus Cars USA, the importer) 1-800-24-LOTUS

I DO know that all North American cars were basically the same. The 86 - 87 cars had Bosch FI for example, while the ROW (rest of world) had carbs...same tire sizes, mirrors, ground clearance.

I remember the boys @ LCU telling us they had to manually hook up the fog lamps to act as DRLs on cars sold in Canada...this in '96.

From the Lotus website
http://www.lotuscars.com/us/about-us/contact-us

Customer Services (USA & Canada)
CONTACT FOR:
Customer Services in USA & Canada. Call toll-free on 1-800-24 LOTUS (1-800-245-6887)
EMAIL:
[email protected]

HTH

:UK:

·
Registered
320 Posts
The only difference I have been able to find is Metric gauges (Kmh speedo) and degrees C on the temp gauge.

The OEM Smiths speedo has no secondary Mph scale .

My 1983 dash top is also black (the rest of the interior is red) which was done to prevent reflections in the windsheild , but this may not be exclusive to Canadian cars though.

Daytime running lights (DRL) were not required untill 1989, the bumper systems (5mph front, 3.5 mph rear) were the same as were the rest of the lighting requirements.

Emmisions equip the same as 50 state Federal USA, mirrors , suspension etc same as USA.

We have more differing requirements now though, which is why Elise/Exige and Evora USA models are not able to be imported unless they are the correct Canadian versions from Lotus.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only difference I have been able to find is Metric gauges (Kmh speedo) and degrees C on the temp gauge.

The OEM Smiths speedo has no secondary Mph scale .

My 1983 dash top is also black (the rest of the interior is red) which was done to prevent reflections in the windsheild , but this may not be exclusive to Canadian cars though.

Daytime running lights (DRL) were not required untill 1989, the bumper systems (5mph front, 3.5 mph rear) were the same as were the rest of the lighting requirements.

Thanks, Wayne.
Also, I took Carbuff's suggestion and called Lotus Cars in GA. People dropped what they were doing to answer my question about a twenty-five year old car. They are even contacting Hethel to be sure about the bumpers. Apparently there is some question (by them) about US and Canadian spec bumpers back then having exactly the same composition. Lotus has been emailing me updates until they get a final word from UK. Unbelievable! What other mfg/dist would give you this service let alone the time of day. Yay, Lotus!

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you call Lotus, I have no doubt they will connect you with Mr.Brian Angus who is a much respected Lotus Engineer and pretty much knows the Esprit inside and out.

RE the bumpers, the front USA/Canada bumper is filled with polyurethane foam and is skinned with a thin outer layer of urethane.

The rear is thicker urethane and is completely hollow.

They were only produced oem in black and have extra visible bolts holding the ends of the bumpers to the fenders (where the bumpers wrap around)

The Federal front bumpers are prone to warpage, on my car I ended up installing a UK/ROW spec fibreglass one and painted them to match the car (to mimic the UK/ROW colour coded bumpers from 1986 to 1987)

Wayne

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, Wayne. I was reading up about bumpers a couple of months ago and someone mentioned LotusBits in UK. I assume they are the fiberglass ones. If I remember right they stock them at 65GBP. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Most of the bodyparts Lotusbits sell are used so the prices vary as to the condition of the bumpers.

The UK/ROW bumpers have a plywood mounting backing which can rot over time so ask the condition of that piece before buying unless you dont mind making and glassing in a new one.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of the bodyparts Lotusbits sell are used so the prices vary as to the condition of the bumpers.

The UK/ROW bumpers have a plywood mounting backing which can rot over time so ask the condition of that piece before buying unless you dont mind making and glassing in a new one.
Will do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts