The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the US crash standards nowadays?
Why does the Elise pass but the GM VX220/T/speedster fail?

m

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
From everything I've read the Elise has passed Federal crash standards.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't think the VX220 failed the crash tests. They haven't tried to pass them as Vauxhall/Opel doesn't sell cars here.

The Elise passed the tests, other than the 5mph crash test which they are now exempt from (for 2 years).

·
Registered
591 Posts
The Elise didn't did not pass the low speed crash standards. That would be 2.5 MPH bumper standards. There is a limit on the cost of repair or no damage to other parts of the body besides the bumper. No bumber, no pass.

It did meet the other crash standards. I think the other is a 30 mph frontal crash into a barrier.

Greg

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Actually, the Elise has always passed the crash standards - it was just not certified (an expensive process) - with the exception of the air bags.

The Federal Elise passes all crash standards including the air bags - it's supposed to be one of the very few cars to have actually been able to drive away from the "big" crash test.

The Elise has a waiver for the requirement of the 2.5 MPH bumpers (not 5 MPH - the limit was lowered many, many years ago). This requirement is not a "safety" standard as it has nothing to do with protecting the occupants of the car - it was simply a standard pushed for by the insurance companies to reduce their costs in the case of minor "bumps". It actually back-fired on the insurance industry, because, although it reduces the cost for minor bumps, it greatly increases the costs for anything bigger. The net result was that the 5 MPH bumpers (later reduced to the current 2.5 MPH) standard caused an overall increase in insurance costs.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I understand, the VX would fail US crash tests. After reading opinions offered by the forum and the age of the information I obtained, It would seem that the VX would pass the same crash tests that the Fed Elise does, but the manufacturer of the car would be recorded as GM.
GM are too large an entity to be granted waivers like lotus did (small vol independent manufacturer under economic adversity)
m

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Remember, the Elise passes all crash tests . It has a waiver for the 2.5 MPH bumper, which is not part of the safety standards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts