The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Loves to talk
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine if there was a US Evora Registry I'd know about it so I assume nobody has actually started one.

I understand the reluctance of people to donate TMI on a public forum but I assume if a person did want to create a record of the US cars, who owned what and where, this would be a good place to start. This is presumably something that could also be done through Lotus Ltd. but I suspect LT has more outreach.

Is it a harebrained idea to want to start a register and/or is anybody else interested in starting one for the benefit of future owners and caretakers? Our earliest examples are now ten years old. At some point people will be looking back at these cars and the stats and histories will become more important.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I think there's quite a decent # of entries on the one the FB group started. I like the idea of a registry, but try not to put too much PII out in the world.

·
Loves to talk
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed, which is why I said: "I understand the reluctance of people to donate TMI on a public forum......". I reckon we could use the available public fora to identify owners and then go on to create a private mechanism for collecting and collating the data.

We could come up with a scheme where people respond to a central point outside of the forums. This could be a private email address he'd by whoever is coordinating the list or by taking advantage of Lotus Ltd.'s capabilities. The data could be held "in trust" for certified registered owners or wanna be owners who are looking for the history of a specific vehicle being tendered for sale.

·
Illegal Alien
4,655 Posts
I think there's quite a decent # of entries on the one the FB group started. I like the idea of a registry, but try not to put too much PII out in the world.
Theres one on the FB Evora Group ? News to me.

·
Loves to talk
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ I think that's a great start but I was thinking of an independent listing that drew on more than the LT community. I have to admit that folks who own a Lotus and don't frequent LT must be thin on the ground.

A truely useful registry would, I think, include ownership history to the extent possible (purchased new/when/where etc) and other salient features (chassis numbers, etc) .

The point about keeping this data as a reference available selectively to existing owners or future owners and monitoring who has access would be an important safeguard.

But maybe as you say, the bulk of the data is out there available to anybody with a bit of determination and decent google fu. Seemed like a good idea to me but maybe I'm overthinking it.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
^ I think that's a great start but I was thinking of an independent listing that drew on more than the LT community. I have to admit that folks who own a Lotus and don't frequent LT must be thin on the ground.

A truely useful registry would, I think, include ownership history to the extent possible (purchased new/when/where etc) and other salient features (chassis numbers, etc) .

The point about keeping this data as a reference available selectively to existing owners or future owners and monitoring who has access would be an important safeguard.

But maybe as you say, the bulk of the data is out there available to anybody with a bit of determination and decent google fu. Seemed like a good idea to me but maybe I'm overthinking it.
No, I think it's a great idea. A co-worker of mine has a Porsche 356, which I had never heard of until I saw the registry badge, and looked it up. Pretty cool info to be had.

Of course all the pertinent info is hidden behind the site's registration, but depending on the required data elements, I could see LT members being ok with disclosing some info.

·
Loves to talk
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How difficult would it be to make a template and host a site for a register? I have an unused domain name (Evoraville.com) that has lain completely fallow since I registered it two years ago. I didn't have any plans for it but the name wasn't taken (no big surprise there, eh?) so I snatched it.

I'd donate it to the cause but it would need somebody more sophisticated than I am to format it to the task.

Why did I register it at all? I thought I'd make a personal ownership log or use it for random thoughts but that never materialized. At least it hasn't to this point. But maybe this is a good way to employ it? This was in my mind when I started this thread. I don't have any desire to profit from this...I'd donate the site and running expenses to the cause. Also, no interest in competing with any existing sites (like LT or The Lotus Forum). Maybe just build a registry of the Evoras here for whatever future benefit that might offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts