The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

US- or EU-style License Plates?

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  ameeriklane 
#1 ·
I purchased a Federal Elise which I've imported to the EU. The single-type certification process is moving along, so I guess soon I'll need to make a decision about license plates.

Front license plates are required here. My guess is that cops won't stop me for not having one mounted, but I do need one properly mounted to complete the certification process and yearly technical inspection. The rest of the time, I could just put the front plate on my dashboard and I think I won't run into any issues from police. I searched the forum and I see that some people just use zip ties to mount the front plate for the times when it's needed.

On the other hand, I could just be legit and mount the front license plate properly all the time. I see front license plate mount from Blackwatch racing is an option. I guess that works only with US-style plates.

The other decision I have to make is whether I want US- or EU-style plates. Most cars here have the EU-size plates (no surprise there), but I can also get US-style plates which are the same dimension as plates in the US. I see the rear of the Elise has mounting screws for both style of plates.

One constraint is that I can't mix and match -- I must get 2 EU-style or 2 US-style, not one of each.

I read in the forum that some have concerns that the US-style plates are too "tall" in the front and may restrict airflow or scrape the road.

Any advice on which type of plates to choose? I have attached examples of both (probably not to scale). The roads can get quite bumpy here, so any front mounting option will need to be fairly sturdy.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Correct: The US plates do indeed restrict airflow.

Here in the US, we rarely mount our plates on the front. We usually keep them with us, avoid police exposure as best we can, and if we get pulled over, try and get out of it by citing the bumper exemption, bracket is on backorder, just got the bumper painted, etc.

EU plates actually look good on the front of this car but it's up to you.

I would recommend to get a set of EU plates, and an EU rear grill (should be pretty cheap, it's just a pressed and painted chunk of aluminium. Whether you then mount the front plate is up to you.

#4 · (Edited)
If you want a US sized plate on the back only,why dont you get some cable wraps and put them through the holes in the license plate and attach it to the front grill, and then after the car passes certification just remove the front plate?

My car is an 05 and has the mounting holes for either Euro or US plates on the back, but I think some of the newer cars have USA mounting holes only.

Just curious, do they have license plate frames for Euro sized plates that have advertising on them like here in the US with the names of Lotus dealers on them? Sort of like the one on the BMW below? Would be nice to get a fake Euro plate for the back and have a frame with the advertising from a dealer in the UK to use at car shows.

Attachments

#8 ·
Just curious, do they have license plate frames for Euro sized plates that have advertising on them like here in the US with the names of Lotus dealers on them? Sort of like the one on the BMW below? Would be nice to get a fake Euro plate for the back and have a frame with the advertising from a dealer in the UK to use at car shows.
Yeah they always have advertising on them. I assume I'd end up with the advertising for the company doing the single-type certification (Ameerika Auto). I'm going to the Lotus dealer in a few minutes with my car so they can change the taillights and add a rear fog light for EU compliance. I'll see what frames they use on their cars. But.. is there really any interest in a "Lotus of Tallinn" frame anyway? I can probably get them for cheap from the dealer if anyone is really interested.

#5 ·
too bad you can't mix and match and do the EU sized plate up front and the US sized plate on back. that's what i do :cool:

it's technically not 100% legal but because both plates have the same numbers, i've never been hassled by the police about it. in fact, not having a front plate at all got me more tickets (here in California where we're required to have one).

Attachments

#10 ·
Just curious as to how you mounted the front plate...

Cheers

#6 ·
how about a small white reflective decal with your plate numbers on it mounted on the front square (basically a downsized euro plate). at least you have something if you get pulled over

#11 ·
I'd go with EU plates and put the front one in a snap-closed plate holder and attach that, when needed, with some sort of double-sided tape. If EST plates are plastic with a printed backing, the holder will keep the plate from getting messed up when you pull it - if they're metal, it'll keep you from bending it when you pull it.

The bigger issue will be the rear plate as the US rear panel has different hole spacing that won't line up too great with anywhere on a plate holder. You could use auto body trim tape back there though as well.

Of course, if plate theft is an issue and you need to use security screws, this might not be the best idea.

#22 ·
I'd go with EU plates and put the front one in a snap-closed plate holder and attach that, when needed, with some sort of double-sided tape. If EST plates are plastic with a printed backing, the holder will keep the plate from getting messed up when you pull it - if they're metal, it'll keep you from bending it when you pull it.

The bigger issue will be the rear plate as the US rear panel has different hole spacing that won't line up too great with anywhere on a plate holder. You could use auto body trim tape back there though as well.
I went with US-size plates as you can see here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/importing-us-elise-eu-55558/index3.html#post1142804

They are made of metal and do not have any holes drilled in them. The car has holes in the back for mounting both Euro or US-style plates.

#12 ·
I like EU one because well i live in England, they are also smaller and look sleeker also it is required you have both front and back plates installed, so i want Euro on the front and US on the back just like Tsunami Racer's. Also the lettering has to be a certain height and width and crap.

#15 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Or just make your own, to correct size, like I did :)

Front (self made);

Rear (official plate);

I have made a template, with the correct font used by the Norwegian Automotive Authority, all scaled properly - incase someone else from Norway needs :)

PS. Yeah, I know it's strictly illegal to use non-official plates in Norway, but I've been approached two times by cops asking me questions about the car. Each time I asked them about the front plate, and they said they didn't care, and it was nicely done. They only care about vehicle ID beeing visible from the rear.

#19 ·
I say velcro is a great solution. I actually had my EU style plate attached with velcro and positioned a bit lower. Speedbumbs I would approach slowly and listen for the license plate to scrape. If not it is clear to continue. If I heard it scrape, I simply got out to check whether I could make it across or not.

With velcro if the plate got caught you simply push it back into place. Just imagine if this while having it bolted onto the clam.

The velcro solution stays well even at top speed (trust me I tested it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.