The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2000 S1 111S Millennium Edition I imported to the US when I left being stationed in Italy.

I know it will be easier for me to keep rubber on it if I have the wheels to match, as I believe it will be more difficult for me to source new Yoko rubber in the 15" and 16" rims the S1 came stock with.

Does anyone here know how much work and what would need to be changed for me to run the US rims in 16" and 17" so I can source rubber locally? I assume that I could special order the Tires I need from a Yoko dealer, but that might not work so well either I don't know.

I do plan on upgrading the suspension to the Nitrons, so I will be running stiffer springs and such, and I already have the track specific toe links...

Also, can you sit lower with the older S1 rims at 15" and 16"? Kind of a important question for track use... Would the larger US rims make me ride higher?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time...

James Hochmuth

If anyone wants to PM with secrets on registering my car for street use, or have a spare Kit Car VIN laying around they won't use... ;) Anyway I doubt this will happen anytime soon, need a Honda engine first, and I would hate what the EPA would do to me if they found out, but I cry when I drive other cars...

Also, if Steve from Washington reads this, please contact me again about you wanting a S1... I lost your number... No my car is not for sale, but I still want to help...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Insoc said:
Does anyone here know how much work and what would need to be changed for me to run the US rims in 16" and 17" so I can source rubber locally?
Not that much. Just a set of adapter spacers top convert the S1 bolt pattern to the Fed-Elise offset and bolt pattern. The S1 runs much lower offsets as standard compared to the Fed-Elise, so you need some very thick spacers, but that's an advantage as you also need to change the PCD.

Your speedo will be off a little as the rear wheel/tire combo is bigger and you may need to keep an eye on the front clearance on the S1, but apart from that it should work.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well because...

Well,

I know that they want to support the US version, and I am sure that since they only have to support 45 S1 Elises (and mine is not one of them, imported on my own), I doubt they keep many in stock here in the USA, but you could be right...

However I am more interested in the new Yoko 048, and I am not sure they make them in the old S1 Sizes... I heard a rumor they would, as I saw them on a S1, but I am not ready to take that chance, as I know they will be available for the US version...

James Hochmuth

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yoko should now be selling A048's in the 'M' compound in the correct sizes for the S1 normally.

These will wear a little faster than the 'LTS' compound, but you do get more grip :)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Offset and spacers...

Hello Arno, and all,

Well, is there a disadvantage to doing all this hub spacer stuff? Am I better off staying with the S1 rims as sizes...

Maybe I am, as they are smaller=less expense and lighter weight (not by much)....

Knowing that I can get A048's makes the decision to stay 15"/16" is a bit easier...

James Hochmuth

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been running ao48s on my 98 s1 and got them from Lotus usa for about 1000 with shipping. I was also thinking about upgrading with a 16/17 wheel set, and saw eliseparts had a convertion spacer kit for the s1. I did this on another car and at track events the aluminum spacers would heat up and loosen the lug nuts, so every 20 laps or so I would have to pit to tighten lug nuts , but this was on a 3200lbs 165mph car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yoko advan neo

I have a set of advans that are made special for the s1 elise

I also have ao48's I want to sell, I really want a set of slicks

be careful when changing wheel and tire sizes, I have gotten alot of info on this from the scottish elise list and it is not recomended.

I have a 190 sport from Lotus USA and they re very helpful. It is a little different now that there are dealers involved

let me know if still need tires
[email protected]
this summer as 190sport.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts