The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding a small amp to drive my front speakers. Looking at this one:

It uses a 30 watt fuse which seems like a lot for an amp this small.

If this is a bad idea, how hard is it to run an 8ga. power wire from the battery? I've looked and it looks like no fun at all.
Or is there a better way to get power under the dash?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Thanks @agentdr8 ! Any pictures of this thing or instructions to find it.
IIRC, it's on the front face of the "firewall", sort of right in the middle, halfway up. I had the front clam and undertray off last month, but didn't think to take a picture of that stuff, just things under the clam.

You could also unbolt the front fuse panel, and figure out a way to tie in to the feed going to MC1 or MC2.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Pretty easy to pass a wire in an Elise from the battery. Seems most good head units can easily acheive those numbers these days.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Most aftermarket headunits only provide like 50W x 4, but RMS will likely be much lower (~18W). That Focal amp actually is pretty nice; Class D, and can be configured as a 3-channel, with 58W to each front (or 100W @ 2ohm), and a bridged 200W to the sub. I'd probably just replace the existing Alpine amp in the back with it, and run the battery cable through the grommet near the upper C-pillar corner. OP would need to run some speaker wiring to the x-overs behind the sill covers, but that isn't too hard.

·
Registered
2006 Polar Blue Lotus Elise
23 Posts
If you plan on just amping the fronts and not bridging the sub I would recommend the Alpine KTP-445A, currently $150 on Amazon.

Important to note, this is a direct plug and play in line amp, no need to splice anything. I was even able to fit it behind the radio in the dashboard area. Significant improvement over the factory head unit if you're just driving factory speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts