The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a ram-air intake for the 06 scoop? I have read some other threads dealing with opening the vent but that seemed like it just caused turbulence under the bonnet if not directed to the intake. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Would you just pop out the plate and it would be the same as an S?
No. The S is a sealed system. ie a bellows from the scoop captures all air and drives it directly through the intercooler.

There is no such bellows on the 06. Opening the fake scoop on the 06 actually takes no air into the engine compartment at highway speeds. In fact, it can force hot air OUT of the scoop against the oncoming air.

Sounds counter intuitive, but I ran the one I had at 60 mph with the roof off. This opens the scoop where it extends through the roll hoop. Put your hand up in front of that scoop at 60 mph and you can actually feel warm air coming out.

I think the OP is suggesting creating a closed system like the S, but running the bellows to the intake instead of the scoop just randomly trying to dump air into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Would you just pop out the plate and it would be the same as an S?
On my 06 exige, there is no 'plate' to pop out. If you remove the screen, there is a black vinyl sticker covering the area. There is no opening, it is all fiberglass. If you wanted to open it, you'd have to dremel/fettle the thing open. Would just make a mess..
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something about a roof scoop that is blocked just doesn't seem right in a performance car. Granted it looks cool but I feel like I own a Dodge Neon when someone walks up and asks what "that" does.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Something about a roof scoop that is blocked just doesn't seem right in a performance car. Granted it looks cool but I feel like I own a Dodge Neon when someone walks up and asks what "that" does.

Word... I'm feelin you on that one...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would imagine you could retrofit some 07+ parts for the ducting but obviously that would only work if you mounted the intercooler in the OEM location.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
So, if I SC my 06 Exige instead of getting an 07, what do you do? (or not do to the roof) i.e. cooling.
If you're going to use the supercharger kits that are used on the Elise's, you've no need for a roof scoop.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
So, if I SC my 06 Exige instead of getting an 07, what do you do? (or not do to the roof) i.e. cooling.
the only reason you'd need to have a functional roof scoop on an S/C fitted '06 would be if you upgraded to OEM Exige 'S stuff including the intercooler and bellows. most of the aftermarket stuff is non-intercooled and the ones that are either use air-to-water intercoolers with a second heat-exchanger mounted near the front of the car (or using the stock oil coolers even) to cool the water in the system or have a small intercooler setup near one of the side intakes. remember, there's a lot more Elise than there are Exige so people build stuff to fit them, not necessarilly to take advantage of the extra space the Exige has.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have some good engine bay shots of the BWR s/c on an 06 Exige? I would imagine there is room to plumb some pipes to mount the intercooler in the OEM 07 S location.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Does anyone have some good engine bay shots of the BWR s/c on an 06 Exige? I would imagine there is room to plumb some pipes to mount the intercooler in the OEM 07 S location.
the inlet manifold runs directly from the S/C body to the inlet ports on the engine. you'd have to replace the manifold if you wanted to plumb a intercooler in... which means you might as well get the OEM 'S' manifolds. there definitely is room, but i don't see how you'd be able to do it using the BWR supplied manifold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No BWR but a Katana

Here it is

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Opening the fake scoop on the 06 actually takes no air into the engine compartment at highway speeds. In fact, it can force hot air OUT of the scoop against the oncoming air.

Sounds counter intuitive, but I ran the one I had at 60 mph with the roof off. This opens the scoop where it extends through the roll hoop. Put your hand up in front of that scoop at 60 mph and you can actually feel warm air coming out.
The pressure at the roll-bar opening (with the roof off) might be completely different than the pressure at center-roof-top. Noticing backflow in once configuration does not mean there will be backflow in the other configuration.

xtn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts