The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I can tap onto the existing original light switch and use it as a latching switch for my other device, ie a defi unit, so that when the driving light is on, my other device can be turned on at the same time? I need to connect the +12v and ground leads of this defi unit somewhere.

Since the light switch is a momentary switch, should i connect my defi device (+ and - leads) to the light switch relay somewhere below the air con unit instead?

I am trying to avoid installing a new switch so as to keep the factory look

advice is very much appreciated

George

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is a line running to the radio harness that is powered when the side lamps are on, ie lights behind the speedo and ac controls. It is not used by the head unit, tap into that. From what i remember the wire is red.

I used it to power the relay for the Aux driving lamps. So that i can use the lamps when ever the side lamps are on, instead of high beams.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The light switch is not momentary, but I would still use a relay to accomplish what you want.
Michael
I am wondering if I can tap onto the existing original light switch and use it as a latching switch for my other device, ie a defi unit, so that when the driving light is on, my other device can be turned on at the same time? I need to connect the +12v and ground leads of this defi unit somewhere.

Since the light switch is a momentary switch, should i connect my defi device (+ and - leads) to the light switch relay somewhere below the air con unit instead?

I am trying to avoid installing a new switch so as to keep the factory look

advice is very much appreciated

George

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The standard two light switches (running/parking lights and headlights) are momentary switches that signal the control box to turn on/off the lights.

The additional Driving Light switch on cars equipped with Driving Lights is a "latching switch" (it "remembers" it's position).

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with things, but if you want a latching switch, you would have to use a Driving Light switch (if you want to use factory switches).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts