The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting an exige s or s240 in the next 6 months or so and just wondering what you guys think the ballpark pricing will be for a lightly used (2-5k miles) s240 might be within the next year. Trying to decide b/w the 07 s and 08 s240. Thanks

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
three

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
...the answer is always 42. you just have to figure out what units its in.

if i were you and in your position (and I'm not witch is why I have an '06) I'd get the '08 because of all the little upgrades.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
1 million space bucks.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
likely in the mid $60k range
With all due respect; yeah right!

Try mid to upper $50's in 6 months (depending on options), and low to mid $50's in a year.

It is already possible to buy brand new 240's in the low $60's, and I'm not talking about stripper models.

As for the '07 Exige S, they seem to be around $50K right now, maybe a bit more; but if you look hard you can get one in the very high $40's.

Six months from now and you should be able to get the 2007 S for under $50K without a problem. Unless of course Lotus severly cuts production for the 2009 models, or the 2009's weigh 2,500 lbs.

I wish it were not this way and that the cars would hold their value better. I have no problem paying full MSRP for a car, as long as it has a high rsale value. But if a brand cannot figure out how to keep resale high, then they can't expect us not to expect big discounts on these cars.

Stephen

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I can only speak about what I see as the market from my experiences thus far. Besides, a lot can happen in 6 months <hint, hint> that would stabilize the resale value.
;)

With all due respect; yeah right!

Try mid to upper $50's in 6 months (depending on options), and low to mid $50's in a year.

It is already possible to buy brand new 240's in the low $60's, and I'm not talking about stripper models.

As for the '07 Exige S, they seem to be around $50K right now, maybe a bit more; but if you look hard you can get one in the very high $40's.

Six months from now and you should be able to get the 2007 S for under $50K without a problem. Unless of course Lotus severly cuts production for the 2009 models, or the 2009's weigh 2,500 lbs.

I wish it were not this way and that the cars would hold their value better. I have no problem paying full MSRP for a car, as long as it has a high rsale value. But if a brand cannot figure out how to keep resale high, then they can't expect us not to expect big discounts on these cars.

Stephen

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I can only speak about what I see as the market from my experiences thus far. Besides, a lot can happen in 6 months <hint, hint> that would stabilize the resale value.
;)

Me thinks me smells an aftermarket supercharger.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
;)
Oh great. Now I have to rack my brain about these "hints". :wallbang: Stabilizing resale value probably means:

1) Lower number of cars brought into the U.S.; or
2) Another price increase for 2009

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Oh great. Now I have to rack my brain about these "hints". :wallbang: Stabilizing resale value probably means:

1) Lower number of cars brought into the U.S.; or
2) Another price increase for 2009
3) Dropping the Elise/Exige all-together?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
That would leave the 2-11 for the track junkies, the Eagle for the road warriors, and the New Espirt for the supercar crowd. Wow, Lotus is playing hardball now. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I remember in an older thread where Robert suggested new high end car(s) would help elevate the entire brand...so maybe that is where he is going with that hint.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
When Lotus introduced the Exige S, we were told they were going to limit production to keep the prices stable. Ha! It is 2005 all over again with half a years production of unsold Lotus's sitting on dealers lots. :sad: I would love to believe that the 240 S will be limited, but I doubt it.

Unfortunately Lotus says one thing and does another. I still llove my car, no matter what it is worth! However, I would love it more if it was worth more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
yeah, that was the other one on my mind; but I did not want to say it.
Well, look at the negative slope in sales. Wasn't 2005, the intro year into the US, the top sales year here for the Elige/Exise? I'm not in the auto business, but I don't think that's a good thing.

As great a car as the Elige/Exise is, it's a niche vehicle. Now the marginal buyers who've been waiting for the <$30K used car market are converging on the 05's like vultures, and that does not bode well for the used car market (if you're looking for a really good used one). One cannot expect those buyers to maintain the cars as they should.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts