The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some other cars that you have\would consider aside from the Elise. Some points, to me, a realistic comparison means that it must be in the same price range as the Elise (ie 40-50k) These can be higher performance used cars, and sports cars.

I'll start it off:

97-99 911 Carrera or Carrera Cabriolet

·
Registered
495 Posts
Caterham 7
Used Porsche 993 or maybe early 996. 930 Turbo, boxsters
Ferrari 348 -- expensive to maintain

But really, Elise is so different from other sports cars available in the USA -- sort of half way between a Seven and a boxster, don't you think?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Qvale Mangusta. New 2001: $55K, Used 2000 w/7200 miles, $39K. Hardtop, targa (fits in trunk), full convertible, all in one car. 320 HP, 4.6L Ford SVT engine. Rare: only about 290 imported to the US. Interesting history: Built by Kjell Qvale & Alejandro de Tomaso in Modena, Designed by Marcelo Gandini (designer of the Diablo & Cizeta Moroda).

I took the used one for a test drive this past weekend. Certainly an exciting car. More practical in some ways than the Elise, but totally different in character. More comparable in character to a Corvette or Esperante. I'm sticking with the Elise, though.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sure other cars exist but not many have the same presence of the Elise, much less in the same price range:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would go back to my original plan from 3 years ago. Find a used Exige.

·
Registered
162 Posts
With the exception of the Caterhan and the Exige, there is no comparison between the Elise and all mentioned sports cars. Not even the Ferrari 348 comes close to the driving ecperience of the Lotus.

If you start a discussion like this, I would advise you to drive the Elise before you buy one.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
MarvinVA said:
What are some other cars that you have\would consider aside from the Elise. Some points, to me, a realistic comparison means that it must be in the same price range as the Elise (ie 40-50k) These can be higher performance used cars, and sports cars.

I'll start it off:

97-99 911 Carrera or Carrera Cabriolet
Nah! That ancient rear-engined design wouldn't have nearly the handling prowess that the Elise has.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
atyclb said:
2002 BMW M3
At 3400 lbs for the cabrio, it's almost twice as heavy as an Elise. No thanks!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The Panoz AIV Roadster. .97 Gs on the skidpad, 0-60 in 4.3, brakes from that speed in 114 feet... and it'll definitely turn some heads.

I'd probably be looking for one if the Elise wasn't around.

Cade

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
mopalak said:
At 3400 lbs for the cabrio, it's almost twice as heavy as an Elise. No thanks!
actually 3400 is for the coupe. the cabrio is over 3700 :eek:

I was just listing a car that was similarly priced

·
Registered
206 Posts
Used 2002 Corvette Z06.

I know this is a completely different style of sports car but compared to an Elise there are few that truly compare apples to apples at even twice the money for handling, styling and performance.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Porsche 1955 Spyder replica. For $25,000 (turnkey version) you can get a lighter, faster car than the Elise. And it handles well. But it's still a kit car.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
jml1952 said:
Porsche 1955 Spyder replica. For $25,000 (turnkey version) you can get a lighter, faster car than the Elise. And it handles well. But it's still a kit car.
Yeah, and that means constant "Is it real?" questions and getting hosed on resale. I WILL NOT BY A KIT CAR... EVER!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My question, I decide the rules

"With the exception of the Caterhan and the Exige, there is no comparison between the Elise and all mentioned sports cars. Not even the Ferrari 348 comes close to the driving ecperience of the Lotus.

If you start a discussion like this, I would advise you to drive the Elise before you buy one."

rijk365gtb4, with all due respect, there are similar threads in which your comment may be applicable. However, I started this thread and asked this question with the intent of finding any sports car in the the Elises price range.

To explain my reasoning. Unlike many of you, I'm a regular joe shmoe that's beginning to acquire the taste for car enthuthiasm. Before the Elise I only cared about brand name recognition, style, and luxury. As a matter of fact I was beginning to lose my interest in cars all together. As I've probably mentioned in other posts, I'll probably never even use the cars full potention. So, you'll excuse me if I still think like an uneducated car finatic and not concern myself with a true comparison in handling and performance and concentrate on things like the bottom line (price). After all it's my perogative.

Thanks to everyone else for entertaining me :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Adam,
It's probably been mentioned before. The downside with a used highperformance (say 348), relatively easy to find at a decent price however, the maintenance is as expensive as when it was a 90K car. Servicing issues/costs are a big factor on aftermarket for these cars.
Chris

·
Registered
162 Posts
Marvin,

I wasn't trying to put you down, but I am concerned that a lot of people are buying into the Hype around the Elise.

I have owned several high powered sports cars and my complaint has always been that they are too good. To get to the exciting part of the car you have to do highly illegal things. This is why I have bought a Daytona. This car keeps you involved at any speed.

The Elise is the same way. There is a lot of "suffering" involved in driving the car, but you get awarded with a wonderful driving experience. It is not a pretty sight if you see me climb in and out with the top in place (OK I'm also 6'2" and 210LB). I cannot drive with my shoes on, the car leaks and it is a struggle to get the top up in the pouring rain.

If you go for a sunday drive, non of these issues might be a problem for you, but for a dayly driver, you have to consider the trade offs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rijk, that's an enviable stable of vehicles you have there. Pretty much covers the best in class for each type of ride. I'm guessing the Porsche mitigates the need for a sedan. Very nice.

Jim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts