The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My name is Olof and is located in Sweden EU. drive a 2003 Lotus Elise RHD. Hope you feel it Ok that a newbie quote a question.
As you know the Britts drive on the left side of the road and has the wheel on the right side. This make most of the European Lotus having the wheel on the stupid side of the car.
But as I guess that even a wrecked car in the US would have LHD there would be a possible surplus of used left hand drive dashboards, viper motor cover, heater matrix and other non whering parts needed for the conversion that I want to do.

Do anyone of you have any of these parts for sale from a possible wrecked or race converted car to a reasonable price + shipping.

Olof

·
Registered
708 Posts
Olof,

You do know that the S1 was never imported to the US, right? We only have S2 cars. I don't know if the parts are interchangable between series, but that's something that you would want to first be sure of.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Doesn't sound like Olof has a S1 Elise.
I assume that he has a S2 with Rover motor.
Anyways, the US Toyota engine dash is very different compared to the Euro Rover dash.
The US cars have air bags for examle which the Euro cars did not have back then.

The Federal dash looks like this:

61582427.jpg

While I assume that yours is similar to this:

2006-Lotus-Elise-111R-Dashboard.jpg

(Pictures are property of someone else)

I doubt that they are interchangeable, but I know that there are entire "conversion meetings" of guys which buy their RHD Rover Lotus in the UK and convert it to a LHD Rover dash.
You might be better of checking SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club
I'm sure there are even parts lists amd DYI instructions out there.

From what I hear it is a little bit of a pain and there is some slicing and cutting involved and the outcome is not 100% perfect, but it can be done.

:wave:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, you are right. I have an S2, but as you say with the K-series. I realised that the federal Elise is the upgraded S2 with Toyota engine. LHD parts from that car will be of no use for me but I guess it would still be good for anyone with a Toyota engined RHD car.
Thanks anyway.
Olof

1 - 4 of 4 Posts