The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On pistonheads.com there are dozens and dozens of used Elises for sale. Do any of you have an opinion why? It makes me a little nervous to see that so many are parting with this car. Please make me feel better.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would guess the reasons are varied. But here are some I would expect-

1. They had kids Can't afford or are not willing to keep an extra car for fun. The Elise will be replaced with a nice sport 4 seater. Or maybe even a minivan.

2. They upgraded to a newer Elise.

3. The upgraded to another car. Tastes change. Perhaps they got something large, more exotic, faster, better gas mileage, or ???

4. Traffic is getting bad. Broke their left ankle. Want to be able to commute directly from Starbucks. Got an automatic.

5. It just didn't work out. The car was not practical enough. Not roomy enough. Too difficult to get in and out. Hard to haul cargo. The wife hated it. The car is not for everyone... and represents compromises in order to maximize handling and performance. Some people will find that those compromises are not worth it to them.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
To me, the question would be if any of those things applied to you. And if they don't... it does not matter that other people sold.

For me, I owned a little 2 seater race car. Prepped for racing. No A/C. Loud. A handful to drive. And I got rid of it and bought an SUV with heated leather seats and a wonderful stereo. It was relaxing in my den as I drove... and I really liked it. Really. Lexus quality. And in the end, I sold the SUV... because the compromises for me to own the luxo-cruiser were the lack of performance...and in the end, it was not worth the compromise.

And now I can't wait for the 2 seater car with little storage, no cupholders, loud, and a pain to get in and out of. :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
One more possible reason - it may be simply that PistonHead's in a very good place to list a car for sale and is thus a popular choice.

·
Registered
637 Posts
try www.autotrader.co.uk - that's the main UK website for car dealing between individuals (though you can buy preowned from a dealer in there too).

*Every* model of car in the world has a second-hand market. The Elise is no different.

Craigy

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Keep in mind Randy, that there is a whole world of cars between the 2 seater race car and a Lexus SUV. Sports sedans/coupes for example, provide ample amounts of performance in a daily driver format. Think M3, M5, E55, etc...from your experience, you might find an Evo 8 comforting!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
True that. That is why I went with the last car, a racing tuned Mercedes. Luxury and sportscar handling. But it still too heavy. But an M3 might have been a better choice.

But I am very sure I could manage to be content in an Evo or Sti or many other cars. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Another reason - a person might initially buy it, not really thinking or caring what kind of financial impact it will have. Eventually, they get tired of struggling pay check to pay check just for a hefty car payment.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
And still another reason. Elises have been out in UK Europe since 96-97. And after the first couple years were built in relatively large quantities (in Lotus terms).

It's natural for lots of the cars to come up on the market.

Chris
And as has been stated, the Elise is not an everyman's car. but for those willing to make a few compromises, it's a dream car. That's why I've been waiting forever for one!

·
Registered
637 Posts
the good news is that a 1996 car which cost £22K new is still worth over £11K. that's pretty good in my opinion.

Craigy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts