The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check out a 2011 manual Evora w/ 30k miles recently that is for sale. This was my first time seeing one in person and I was quite impressed with the overall aesthetics. Upon start up the owner turned the key to the 'on/accessory' position for a second prior to actually starting the engine. He said the electronic pump had to prime and indeed there was a noise coming from the rear of the car when he did that. The car started up just fine and there were no other issues, but I wasn't sure if that is normal for Evoras. Again, never having seen one in person I don't know if that is accurate. I have another post in the "General Discussion" section regarding PPI and that is certainly something I would get done, just wanted to check about the noise.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, so I mainly looked over the overall condition and commonly known 'quirks' after reading the great posts here such as:
asked about window regulators- current owner said they have never had any issues
headlights- looked a little faded/foggy, but no major peeling
clutch- would need an experienced mechanic to give me feedback, I am new to manual transmissions
lift gate struts- worn out
airbag cover warping-perfectly flat
driver seat wear on the outer side- noticeable, but not major
exterior a-pillar- driver side cracked

The exhaust looked after market. The owner showed me the original window sticker and it does have the 'sport gearbox' and 'sport pack' options. The owner said the sport pack included the 'burnt tip' exhaust (the ends of the chrome tips looked intentionally discolored).

Mainly just looking for feedback on the noise at start up and what other things I should look out for outside of getting a PPI done. Thanks!

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
856 Posts
With my MY13 NA, I will put the key in the On position, wait for the needles to finish their dance, go back to Acc, put the key back to On, wait for the needles again, then start the car. This forces the fuel pump to prime the engine twice and makes the cold start sooooo much smoother. I do this any time the car hasn’t been on in the past few hours. You can hear the hum of the fuel pump when it is working as you wait for the needles. Also, always wait for the needles to finish moving or they may read higher than zero when they shouldn’t. They reset, but this involves turning the car back off, removing the key, wait about 30 seconds for the dash lights to go out, open the door and then the needles will re-zero. I’m not making any of this up; welcome to loving British cars!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I haven't heard of this being a thing. I just turn the key...….

Typically if you need to prime the pump it means you've got a small leak and it can't hold the pressure from tank to injector. Thus it needs to pump up the fuel rail with pressure before it will start.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Perfectly normal for any Fuel injected vehicle. If the vehicle has been left for longer than a week fuel pressure can leak down so it can be useful to let the system prime, after that just use the normal straight to start sequence.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good on you for doing your homework, Weez. So many people just dive into it, and only start researching things when problems become apparent.

I second what Pharriso says above, and while I generally would recommend a PPI on any used car, I think there are very few places in the US to take an Evora to someone who would know what they are looking at. If you post your location, someone might have a recommendation for an experienced Lotus tech for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 2011 N/A as well 38,000 on the clock. The starting sequence is the same. Turn the key on and let the needles cycle then push the immobilized button on the key fob and start. You can hear the fuel pumps cycle on. I’d also recommend starting with the clutch engaged just in case. It’s a good habit. Once the engine is running make sure it’s out of gear and let it warm up. Go easy on the transmission until the engine reaches operating temperature.

Most of all if you do decide to go with it have a PPI to check the clutch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the feedback! I had another thread going with regards to PPI and found an independent shop that should fit the bill. Thanks again. Hopefully I will be able to 'officially' join the community soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts