The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Following is a discussion I have had with Cobalt Friction. I've used, and have been impressed with their products for a while and I think they would be a welcome addition to the Lotus community.

In a nutshell: If anyone has a used set of pads, Cobalt is requesting that they be sent to them so that they can engineer a solution for our cars. Glenn from Cobalt's contact info is below.

Hello,

I recently purchased an ’07 Lotus Exige S and have tracked it only once so far. I have 10 days scheduled over the next 2 months and want to start planning for consumables. I used to have an Audi TT and had bought pads from you a few times, and I think, even disks once. Your products held up great, so do you have brake applications for the Exige?

Rob
Rob,

Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately, we have not manufactured your fitment for the 07 Lotus Exige S. If you would like to send us a set of used pads, our engineers can take measurements for our tooling and produce the fitment. This process takes about 4-6 weeks. If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks

E. Glenn Bocchino
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cobalt Friction Technologies
Phone. (954) 340-2701
Fax. (954) 340-9073
Email. [email protected]

Web. Cobalt Friction Technologies USA

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
they wont spring for a set of front and rear pasd new to develop a product for the car............

cheap.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Yeah, but I can understand them asking.

Why not?

That said, I'm not ready to send them my old pads at my cost... Unless there was a set of new pads in it for me when they make them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Used brake pads?

If anyone has a used set of pads, Cobalt is requesting that they be sent to them so that they can engineer a solution for our cars.
I suggest that they order a set of OEM pads as a template. How are they going to determine the brake thickness required if they only have a used set of pads?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Actually I did think of that, but one would assume that they could get the brake pad thickness from some kind of literature.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am working with them on our racing program. Thus, I can help those interested in pads. Keep in mind these are not street pads; they are for race, DE, and autocross.
So, what do you all want...???
compound
stock front
AP/LS front
AP/Stillen front
Alcon P front
stock rears
other

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I suggest that they order a set of OEM pads as a template. How are they going to determine the brake thickness required if they only have a used set of pads?
thats sort of what i was thinking too.

they can always sell the new set on ebay when they are done with them , so the true cost to them is almost nothing..................

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy this is a tough crowd.

They were only asking for the used pads, because I asked them if they had an applications for our cars. No reason to assume they are cheap, they just responded to my request.

If I had used pads, I'd give them to Cobalt. I liked them on my TT, but who knows, they might be crap on the Exige. The only way to know, is to try. . . but then again the only way to try, is to have a solution available.

Actually, their response seems like a pretty respectable way of doing business as opposed to "sorry but we don't support your car".

In reply to dmh: stock front and rear for DEs.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Boy this is a tough crowd.

They were only asking for the used pads, because I asked them if they had an applications for our cars. No reason to assume they are cheap, they just responded to my request.

If I had used pads, I'd give them to Cobalt. I liked them on my TT, but who knows, they might be crap on the Exige. The only way to know, is to try. . . but then again the only way to try, is to have a solution available.

Actually, their response seems like a pretty respectable way of doing business as opposed to "sorry but we don't support your car".

In reply to dmh: stock front and rear for DEs.
So noted. Keep an eye on the thread...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts