The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanted to say thanks to everyone posting of this forum. I have learned alot and although I do not personally know anyone here I have a strange sense of trusting the output from most posters.

I have been fortunate to get "THE CALL" (car arrives in two weeks) and have a need for some advice.

I live in Manhattan and the Elise will be a Saturday/Sunday/Nighttime driver for me and only during the warm months (I figure 4 months of the year it will not be here.) The bad part of this deal is that for 8 months I will be keeping it in a valet-ed garage. (Unless anyone else has any useful ideas.)

As most Elise owner would be, I am uneasy about this. In my brief experience, not even the starting procedure is simple. Not to mention the damage possibilities.

Any advice on the best way to minimize the risk in this situation? The best I have come up with is a laminated card with instructions and warnings on it for the valet. I would include items such as the starting procedure and the fact that this car does not have bumpers. (Although, I am skeptical that any valet would even look at it.)

Any advice or antidotal experience will be appreciated, although any advice such as "Move out of NYC" or "You shouldn't have an Elise in NYC" will not be useful.

Thanks. A lot.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Ask him to not use the windshield frame to get in or out and to slide the seat all the way back.

I would also get a good car cover.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Personally, I would keep it covered with a locked cover and offer to pay extra to the valet to not drive my car and to offer personal protection, if possible. Is there a reason why he must move it?

When I lived in NY, service personnel were always accommodating when extra $$$ was involved. If your current garage isn't willing to accommodate you, I'm certain that another close by may be.

In the cold months, I would routinely start it at least once a week and let it run to keep the battery charged and the seals from shrinking. Also, run the air conditioning,for a few minutes periodically, to keep the seals from shrinking.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Also, you might want to look into those inflatable air side guards that drape over the door. It'll be a good and cheep protection against the errant door.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Also....I would add just a little Methanol (dry gas) to the fuel, to make sure that the lines don't freeze while sitting unused in extreme cold.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Along Hockydoc's idea, why not just rent a garage from someone upstate? Maybe Poughkeepsie or Newburgh? Then you'll be able to take a train up (about an hour ride) to fire-up the car when you want during winter. And when you want it for summer, bring it back to Manhattan. Just a thought...

Bob

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
khamai said:
I believe the Elise manual states to avoid Methanol. Ethanol is okay, providing you don't drink it first!
OOPS! Thanks for correcting me, khamai.
Never was good at reading instruction manuals. :eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your problem is that the valet may damage the car but self parking garages are not as secure. A Lotus in Manhattan definitely does not need people self parking their Chevys poking at it.

I wouldn't expect the valet to be able to read an instruction card.

I've been in a few garages up there that have a level of parking at street level where they often keep premium cars. I don't see why any garage would not let you park your own car in such a location but that still would not keep them from backing somebody else's car into it.

If there's a really high-end hotel near you, call them and ask about their parking facilities.

Renting a garage upstate and taking the train up a few times a month would probably prove to be almost as costly and just as insecure.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The Bribe is the only way to go. Bribe to put the car where it won't need to be moved, then keep the keys. Bribes suck, but it's better than the alternative. I almost drove mine to Manhattan Friday night, but chickened out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the posts. I probably go with a combination of sweet talking/paying the caretakers and some common sense preventitive measures. The car will be stored far outside of NYC for the winter months. Which depending on the planning I have to come up with may be right after I get it.

On another note, on Thursday I was told my car would be here in two weeks. Got a message today that it is here and they would like me to pick it up either Wednesday or Thursday. I don't even have the VIN that they said would be supplied a week before delivery. Not that I am complaining (yet) but this whole Lotus buying experience just seems to get shadier and shadier as time goes on.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I also live in Manhattan but choose to park it on Long Island where I know it is in a safe garage even it is more inconvenient(also saves money).

Again like everyone is saying...if you must keep it in city you might as well pay the attendants more. The garages as is are 400 ish a month so if I was going to spend that much I would go extra effort and give attendants 100 a month to ensure car is taken care of with special attention or maybe you could even park the car yourself if they dont use an elevator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts