The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I've run race engines on Methanol. It is a pain - every time you use it you must flush the fuel system with gasoline, oil the cylinder bores and change the engine oil. Methanol absorbs water and corrodes / eats away everything it touchs which is not good quality stainless steel. Long term everything seems to die sooner or later - like fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regualtors. The engine oil fills up with water very quickly, especially with short runs. The article also fails to mention the difference in energy content, so that you use will over double the amount of methanol vs gasoline. I fail to see how to convert a car for 40 pounds - at the least you have to swap injectors - but you really need a big fuel tank as well since you're going to be under 10 miles per gallon. Plus you'd want to put a valve on the oil drain plug...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
E85 would be a better substitute than Meth since E85 is less corrosive than Meth. You would still need to upgrade to bigger injectors and/or fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Here's my story on converting my car to run E85 and here's the Fifth Gear video of them testing the Exige 265E
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50311&highlight=finally

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8jCaLPAKD8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8jCaLPAKD8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
alternative fuels are awesome esp if they increase performance, but alternative fuel stations are few and far between, esp for the folks that drive a lot and often

going back to the article posted above, it sounds like the exige can run on either 3 with out retuning the car?

and for $80 they can have a regular exige run on ethanol or methanol?

correct me if im wrong
thanx

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
alternative fuels are awesome esp if they increase performance, but alternative fuel stations are few and far between, esp for the folks that drive a lot and often

going back to the article posted above, it sounds like the exige can run on either 3 with out retuning the car?

and for $80 they can have a regular exige run on ethanol or methanol?

correct me if im wrong
thanx
They probably have a system like GM has which uses a ethanol content sensor to measure how much ethanol is in the tank and the ECU will adjust the fuel maps accordingly.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
When seeing the title of this thread, "Using Meth in an Exige will get you 270 " my first thought was, "Nah, Using crystal meth would probably only get you a couple of years, not 270 years... :shrug:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
You need to replace the fuel pump which means dropping the fuel tank out, and a bunch of other bits, injectors included.

The E265/285 are press/demos cars that usually live at lotus.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You need to replace the fuel pump which means dropping the fuel tank out, and a bunch of other bits, injectors included.

The E265/285 are press/demos cars that usually live at lotus.
that sounds like more than 40 dollars haha:shrug:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When seeing the title of this thread, "Using Meth in an Exige will get you 270 " my first thought was, "Nah, Using crystal meth would probably only get you a couple of years, not 270 years... :shrug:
I tried to word it very carefully ;).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I could just see the first time I'm stopped with bio-ethanol...

officer: have you been drinking?
me: no but my car has!
Funny thing is that it is technically illegal to convert a normal gasoline engine to run E85 per the EPA.... :no:

·
Registered
807 Posts
my friend runs E85 in his competition drift car and i think that little ecotech 4 is running 600+hp.

but i discourage ethenol use in cars cuz it's jacking up the price of my green giant frozen nibblets....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Just out of curiousity, i had my car smog'd running E85 and here's the results. The RPM meter in the smog machine couldn't read the RPM from my OBD II port for some reason, so it was handwritten in. Verdict, passes with flying colors.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
E85 & Conventional Vehicles
Consumers should never use E85 in a conventional, gasoline-only vehicle. This can lead to a range of problems, including not being able to start the engine, damage to engine components, illumination of the check engine light, and emissions increases.

It is technically possible to convert a conventional gasoline vehicle to run on E85; however, such conversions would likely be illegal unless they are certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). To date, EPA has not certified any E85 conversions. In addition, converting a conventional vehicle to E85 may violate the terms of the vehicle warranty. For more information on the vehicle conversion process, please visit EPA's Web site at: www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cisd0602.pdf (22 pp, 152 K, About PDF)

I believe after this report was written, the EPA did approve 1 manufacturer's E85 conversion kit....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts