The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post.

My wife is an Allstate Insurance agent in Indiana and I am trying to convince her to let me put a deposit down on the Elise. I know I wouldn't get it until maybe 2006.

Anyway, the reason I am writing is because the agency is only 1.5 miles away from our house so her driving it to work every other day wouldn't put too many miles on it and it could generate alot of business since she parks right in front of her office. Her office is right on a main street where literally 1000's of vehicles pass everyday.

In Evansville where we live, there is no Lotus dealership and i'm sure a car like this would generate alot of passing interest and give some extra exposure for her business. I am thinking over time the car might even pay for itself.

So, basically... I'm trying to justify the purchase by saying to her it will expose her business even more than it is already.
Also, Evansville has a British car show once every year or so. And nobody has turned up in a Lotus before, usually a host of MG's, Triumphs and Jags.

I thought I would run this through you guys before running the idea by her.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You claim that you would actually share the Elise with your wife? I think she will see right through that. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well alright, I will drive the car and park it outside of her office every other day. Drive her car home, bring it back at 5pm and then drive the Lotus back home.

Either way she wins right?

She drops off our kid at daycare as well, I don't know the legalities of that (3yo in the front seat etc).

I do trust her to drive the car, its just another engine on wheels to me.. Just ones that look sex on wheels! And like I said its 1.5 miles. She wants a motorcycle but I think instead of buying 2 harley's I could get a car that would rock just as much!

·
Registered
327 Posts
richieb1971 said:
a car like this would generate alot of passing interest and give some extra exposure for her business. I am thinking over time the car might even pay for itself.

So, basically... I'm trying to justify the purchase
Keep trying.

I suggest you buy a Carrera GT. Based on your theory, you'll generate so much business that you both can retire next summer.

But seriously ... you know that this idea is bad. If you want the car, get it. It won't help business though. Maybe by a big work van and put her name and face and phone # on the side. Then maybe I could see business picking up a little.

With an Elise, it could be argued that people will avoid that business. "Look at her in there. She makes so much money and drives a flashy, expensive car. I'm going to take my business to someone who needs it more."

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Rich,
That's an interesting justification for getting the car, can't believe she'd fall for it, but you never know!:)
Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I do trust her to drive the car, its just another engine on wheels to me..

Richie,
Let me warn you. Statements like this will get you banned on this site! I know you are new to the elise but I must warn you that some people consider it a religion and not just a car. Of course, I write this after extreme sleep deprivation so don't take this too seriously.
Dan

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Put bumper stickers and door signs on it too for maximum impact LMFAO

·
Registered
91 Posts
I find it doubtful that it would drum up more business. Flashy isn't really an insurance agent mainstay. You'd expect an insurance agent to be more conservative.

Now if she was a talent scout, that would be something else.

Barry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well, I'll forget that idea then.

I do want the car, and obviously I love the Elise otherwise I wouldn't be here. I am also British so part of my admiration is that I know it was built not far from where I am origonally from.

I guess I will save up myself then until I can afford it :(

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
LOL !

It's not SUCH a bad idea, though. I saw a white Boxster driving down the road the other day with a color sign on the back that read:

NET GEEKS
Computer and Networking Maintenance and Support

I recall thinking, "Geez, that guy must really overcharge his customers to drive a Porsche!"

It DID get my attention, though! :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Heh-heh-heh. Nice try, though

Here's one that worked. I got my wife hooked unto DE's. Now she wants her own car!! So I'm getting her the Elise, and she's all for it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It actually might work against her. Her business depends on referrals and walk-ins. While the Elise would garner attention, it is very commonly percieved as a very expensive car, well into the 6 digits. Many people would balk at the prospect of their insurance agent making that kind of money (percieved or real) at their expense. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
babak said:
It actually might work against her... people would balk at the prospect of their insurance agent making that kind of money
Or they might walk in to see if it's a customer's car or to find out how it's related to the agency. Or she could put a sign on the car and autocross it. I'm sure a lot of autoxers would want to strike up a conversation w/ an insurance agent, right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I could park it just a little off center, so then nobody would know if it was for allstate or the printing business next door ;)

Seems to be mixed reactions now hehe.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Mine was bought by my business and the excuse is marketing. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Whether it will generate more business or not, I don't know. But its sure as hell worth a shot - if it meant me getting an elise sooner rather than later, I'd give it a shot - go for it.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Well Randy, if it weren't for your car I wouldn't need/want one of your camera mounts so the car is completely justified and it is working!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts