The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in NJ and it snows hear enough to worry about driving on summer tires.

I have been reading some reviews from the people on tirerack and they have said that with "Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport & Winter 240 SnowSport" the rear wheel drive cars will handle well.

here is the link for some of one you to check out!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+210+SnowSport

"""(some man from the tire rack link above.)Pirelli does it again with these great snow tires...I use these in the winter and Pirelli Pzero Neros in the summer..these tires handle great even in deep snow...i was amazed that even with my Rear-Wheel drive lexus my car handled great in the snow..tires gave me alot of confidence on the road and made my new england winter alot easier..would recommend to anyone! """

That review cough my attention and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with snow tires on rear wheel drive cars?
Is there a garantee that there will work for my g35 and the elise in the winter?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Admin note... if you do buy tires from Tire Rack, and we do recommend them, please click on the banner at the top of the page. Thanks. It does not change your costs, but they kick back a few dollars which helps pay for the server.

As to your thread. Snow? What is snow? :)

Many people have reported that they have had great success driving midengined rear wheel drive cars with good snow tires.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Randy, Thanks for the tip, the '2 is about due for a new set of tires.

Don't have to drive in the snow but on my current mid-engine on summer tires in the wet is pretty touchy. Snow tires would be good idea, if you have to deal with white stuff.

BTW do you have a G35C or S? Had a order in for the S, didn't come in the way I wanted, waited and put a order in for a C. Before it got here found out about the Elise & been waiting ever since.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I run P SnowSports on my winter rims here in Boston. Yes, they are good snow tires (less good on ice than Blizzaks and the like) and they have very good dry traction (which, even up here, is mostly what you drive on). Caveat: this is on an Audi S4. Lots of traction, and lots of electronic gizmos (which I normally hate) to keep you on the road.

In a fly-weight car like the Elise w/ no traction control I'd say keep the car garaged if there is snow in the forecast, regardless of the tires. My old Z3, which had traction control, was usless even with snow tires. And the Elise's rearward weight bias is a real concern in slippery conditions.

But, if you're not to be disuaded, I do like the SnowSports ( -- you should probably get something studded! :eek: ).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Putting snow tires onto cars used to be a standard practise before the advent/proliferation of FWD.

I used to put Blizzaks on my '93 325i when I lived in St Paul, MN. The car did not have traction control and was fine. In fact it was amazing in the snow! Now that I live in sunny (and currently very hot!) Southern CA, snow tires are a thing of the past for me...

Actually I think that the rear weight bias of the Elise, coupled with it's RWD will make it a fantastic winter driver with snow tires. Of course ground clearance may not be adequate....

If you have a G35 then drive it in the snow with snow tires - not the Elise.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
AuS4 said:
( -- you should probably get something studded! :eek: ).
Studded tires cause more damage to the roads than neccesary. Blizzaks (or any similar tire) are more than adequate for NJ. Now if you lived in Alaska.....

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have never driven in snow, and even a little ice on the road freaks me out, so I definitely don't plan to test the Elise out under those conditions. But Randy, if you want to try, head to Lake Arrowhead during the winter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can only speak from my experience with a Boxster but basically if I dropped an icecube behind the tire I would pretty much be stuck. I can't imagine that with the weight of the Elise driving in any form of snow will be possible. Perhaps if you had two of them and strapped them to your feet as snow shoes you could but other that I do not forsee having this baby out in the Pittsburgh winters.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Modern Wedgie, the rest of the San Diego members, and I would like to express our deepest sympathies for those who live in snow regions...

Hmmm, so for this winter, should I stick with R-compound tires? :cool:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have seen pictures of the Elise in the snow, though, so it's possible. If you really want more info, go to the SELOC forum (http://www.seloc.org) and ask the European users for advice.

We do have snow in California, of course. But where most of us live, you have to go visit the snow, rather than having it come to you. Which is just fine with me.

By the way, it did snow once in Westlake Village over the past 15 years; I think it was one day in the winter of 1989. I also was living in Florida when it snowed one day in Tampa (as well as Miami and the Bahamas); I think that was 1976 or 1977. And when I was a kid, it snowed at least once in the San Francisco Bay Area.

All of those harsh winter experiences convinced me to live in places with mild climates.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All ... first post - just got your details from the SELOC (UK) website.

With regards to driving in winter, I would not recommend it. The Elise is my only car, and thankfully we get very little snow in England. When we *do* get it though, the Elise is a handful. It obviously isn't about power, more about the lack of weight over the rear wheels.

Last winter we had a *decent* snow for England with 3 inches or so on snow. I had to pull out of my drive in 3rd, riding the clutch, and still managed to do a 180.

This year I will be using a nice safe front wheel drive with traction etc ... rather than risk wrapping the Elise around a lamppost or, worse, someone else!!

Hope that helps

Simon

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Simon,

Welcome to our board. I look forward to hearing your first hand experiences with your car!

Did you drive the Elise with the stock tires or snow tires? My M3 was absolute rubbish in 2" of snow with stock tires. My 325i with snow tires could not be stopped - even in 12" of the white fluffy stuff. Snow tires, I find, are indispensable when it comes to winter driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mapes

Stock tyres over here I am afraid. I am still using Pirelli P-Zero Assymetricos, purely because they were fitted new when I bought the car last year. They are not the best in the wet bit have more tread than the other tyres commonly used over here (e.g. Toyo Proxes and Advans).

We don't have the weather to warrant snow tyres but I would imagine the main problem will remain, even with snow tyres, that is to say little weight over the rear tyres.

To be able to spin in 3rd gear at 1000rpm shows the problem really.

It is great fun though :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts