Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone id like to introduce my self my name is McKay Engh I'm 25 and from Salt Lake City Utah. i fell in love with cars at a young age but found a passion for them in highschool when I moved to southern California. im a welder/fabricator and mechanic and engineer by trade. i currently work for Boeing as a tool coordinator. i also worked at a Porsche/ Ferrari shop for a short time at our local race track.

as far as cars my first was a Honda accord given to me for free by family friend. i soon wanted something new and ended up buying my baby a 1992 Mazda miata. it now has a fully built forged internal engine and is turbocharged. currently its at the back end of a rebuild of the second engine, currently being wired by my co-worker. last dyno made 220 hoping to turn up boost and shoot for 300 this time. Also i share a car with my fiance a jeep trail hawk grand Cherokee with a 5.7 hemi in it. Then finally there is my audi TT 08 Quattro 3.2 that im selling this Saturday and have loved. but this bring me to my point of where i need some help, im trying to make an effort to own and drive more cars.

so i am currently in the market for a new car im really interested in the evora and the elise. i have two not lotus cars that make up the rest of my final 4 as well (supercharged m3, alfa romeo 4C). but that is beside the im here for lotus help i only include it in case you wanna give your two cents on the decision.

what i really need is some help from local lotus guys reason being I've never actually driven one. ive seen a few in person and sat in a couple but its been a long time. now i obviously don't expect anyone to let me drive their car but if i could sit in it and get a feel for it and get more upclose look at it all. there are no dealers nearby selling any so im kind of up a creek which is why i have turned to the community. also any info you can give me about these cars i should look for is greatly appreciated. so if you are local or nearby please post, message or contact me i need your help desperately.
i watched the 3 part buyers guide im more curious about everyone's opinions on these cars. This car will be my daily driver during the non winter months and im aware they are not the most comfortable. Luckily having owned a modified miata with no ac for a long time and dailying it for a few years this is a labor of love i am no stranger too. but if you daily let me know what its like?

anyways i have plenty more to ask about but i think ill wait for everyones response for now and get the convo going instead of continuing to rant.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,840 Posts
This is the Salt Lake City area Lotus club:

The Evora will be more of an all-around driver like the M3, the Elige will be more focused like the 4C.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you i sent them a message hopefully they get back to me.

i kinda figured that would be more the case. one worry i have about both of them is power/speed wise. now the main reason for getting away from the audi TT was i wanted something fun like my miata again since its still broken. but the lotus is over double what i payed for my audi and while my main concern is fun, i do want it to be faster. and i just dont know how much faster it will really be or feel than my TT.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,840 Posts
There were a lot of TT owners in our Philly-area local club, PALS. One of them was @cornbeef , he has owned both Elise and Evora.

One uloco member that I know is @Bugslugger

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if they want to chime in at some point i would love to hear their thoughts.

also wondering if it would be cool if i threw up a couple links to lotus ads im looking at to get everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also what are everyones feelings on which is easier to work on the Evora or the elise?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,840 Posts
All I know is, on our year Esprit you need an extra elbow joint just to clean the inside of the rear window. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

A sensitive sense of touch (because you often work 'blind'), and sensitive hearing (so that you tell how far down that dropped bolt fell) are two desirable traits for owners.

I've worked on Elises with the tilting rear clam, THAT is a worthwhile modification if you do your own wrenching.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you that’s very good to know. And I’ll mane note of that mod and make it first priority if I go Elise over evora. I would love to hear from some evora owners about there experience with the car and if it was visceral enough, compared to an Elise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes doing things myself. i worked as a mechanic for a while and for a short time a mechanic at a Porsche Ferrari race shop. but didn't deal with any lotus's in that time. I'm not to sure what work id be doing to them honestly but im sure ill do all my own maintenance and light mods.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Nothing handles like a Lotus. No comparison to any other car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yes doing things myself. i worked as a mechanic for a while and for a short time a mechanic at a Porsche Ferrari race shop. but didn't deal with any lotus's in that time. I'm not to sure what work id be doing to them honestly but im sure ill do all my own maintenance and light mods.
I think you may be good with either considering you have a decent knowledge base to start from. I know there are some specifics which are different as expected between different models but the gist of it is all the same.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Nothing handles like a Lotus. No comparison to any other car.
The thing I dislike about these sorts of polls is that no words can prepare you for how true this statement really is. People talk about great handling for all sorts of cars and then quote the max skidpad g to back up their statements - that's just not it. Dynamic handling is totally different from the static handling you see on a skidpad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I thought id give everyone an update I DID IT!! i bought a 05 elise that is starlight black 11k miles and has a bemani supercharger kit. i flew to Pittsburgh to pick it up from another forum member.

·
Administrator
1,417 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts