The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is potentially a stupid request, but given that the easiest maintenance task on an Esprit can turn into the Bataan Death March, I'll plow on. I need to replace my V-8's coolant thermostat. I have a replacement thermostat and the two O-rings. Since the thermostat housing is difficult to see / reach does anyone have any advice regarding the best procedure to use? ......things to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Bill K.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I changed my about a year ago. You'll need to climb into the trunk and lay on your stomach on the engine to be able to see what you're doing. If I remember correctly, the o rings are different sizes, so make sure they're installed in the proper places. Be VERY careful that you don't drop anything into the water pump.

It also a good idea to test the new thermostat before installing (they can be defective). Pour some boiling some water into a cup, drop the thermostat in, and it should open up.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you are replacing the thermostat you should also decide if you are going to flush and replace the coolant at the same time. Don't forget to bleed the air out after you fill with coolant. Removing the left strut will allow the rear hatch to open further if you need to. Place a heavy towel or blanket over the motor so when you crawl on top of the motor it is a *little* bit more comfortable.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. You both made my life a little easier. I was afraid that I would have pull the inlet plenum.

Thanks again,

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts