The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper tension for the V-belts on a 4 cylder Esprit?

I couldn't find it in the service manual. The only one I found was for the AC compressor belt...... .035" of movement along the longest section of the belt.

Would that be the same for the slack in the other 2 belts?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The manual section TDE says .35" (not .035") for the A/C and water pump, and .5" for the alternator, total movement using moderate finger pressure on longest belt run.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad. I meant to write .35". I'm so used to dealing with meausrements in thousandths of inches.... I guess I added an extra zero.

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
88 Esprit loses alternator belt.

Old thread, but keeping the info in the same place.

My 88 Esprit appears to have lost the alternator belt - alt light is on and I verified the belt is gone (at least from the top engine compartment view).

I heard some squealing and my wife claims I ran over some soft object when the alt light came on (I didn't notice this).

Very lucky as it failed about 2 miles from home (after a 40 mile trip to Santa Cruz).

I have the 80-87 factory manual (which should have the diagram of the belt), but I can't find it - could someone tell me what section (MB? OMA?) or point me to a picture so I can try and salvage this problem?

Dr Hess' chart mentions "Belt, Alternator Gates 7340" and OK for 'Bosch' - I have the Bosch ALW49 (?) conversion since my Valeo died Nov 2011. Guess I'll try and get that belt back on.

I saw deloreanz' picture of his 84 Esprit engine rebuild and looks like alternator belt is single device only (not shared with water pump or air pump).

Looks like adjusting belt is from the TOP of the car? Is it easier to adjust from UNDER engine (there's a coolant pipe I'd rather not remove/move to adjust).

Thanks,

Eddie

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Eddie,

You're fortunate in that the alternator belt is the first one on the crank pulley from the front so you don't need to remove any other belts to get the new one on.

You will need to tension from the top, can't reach it from the bottom. I usually use a pry bar between the alternator and ac compressor to pull it up or you can also pry from the top side between the alternator and top bracket mount. Two people is much easier, one on the pry bar and one to tighten the pinch bolts.

Diagram is in the 80-87 parts manual on page 40.03

Cheers,
Jim

Here's a pic.

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
Eddie,

You're fortunate in that the alternator belt is the first one on the crank pulley from the front so you don't need to remove any other belts to get the new one on.

You will need to tension from the top, can't reach it from the bottom. I usually use a pry bar between the alternator and ac compressor to pull it up or you can also pry from the top side between the alternator and top bracket mount. Two people is much easier, one on the pry bar and one to tighten the pinch bolts.

Diagram is in the 80-87 parts manual on page 40.03

Cheers,
Jim

Here's a pic.

Thanks - from your pic it seems clear no direct connection to timing or water pump belt. Still not clear how to get wrench down near pinch bolt? Do I need to remove upper coolant pipe to squeeze at hand in there? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Eddie,
Never done it on an 88 and the pic above is from a 95 (same belt setup) but on the later ones I can reach the bolt without removing the coolant pipe. You'll just have to give it a try and do what you have to. Maybe someone with an 88 will chime in...

You only need to access two bolts, the long one on the top mount and the pinch bolt on the nylon slide bracket.

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
[snip]

You only need to access two bolts, the long one on the top mount and the pinch bolt on the nylon slide bracket.
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the photo - helped immensely.

Crawled under the car and found the belt to be shredded. This was replaced back in Nov 2011 when the car was converted to Bosch ALX49 (Valeo died). Looking at the damage, the belt looks like it's ancient - possibly New Old Stock - because of the cracks and delamination. It's a Continent AVX 10 x 865.

My mechanic replaced the original 23 year old belt in Oct 2011 when it was a Valeo (I got all the old parts), so this NOS situation is a real disappointment.

Then again, I hope that 17 months of daily driving ~1000 miles/month isn't too harsh (heatwise) on the belts. I'm going to have the waterpump belt checked out (and hope the 'blue' timing belt is in good condition too).

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Many years ago, a friend and I were driving our then G-body Esprits from PA to Ohio for the Lotus Ltd LOG, I think that was 1990? My friend had his v-belts changed (not timing belt) before our trip. I don't know if one of the belts stretched, was not tight, or was too long in the first place, but it came off while we were driving. At the time all we knew is the car stopped running, and I was driving his car. We were almost to the destination, and Lotus USA had a flatbed with them, so their driver collected the car to the hotel.

The reason the car stopped, is because the broken v-belt came off and went through the timing belt, which jumped time. Numerous bent valves, big job. We were lucky, Arnie at LCU took it back to Atlanta on their truck, and fixed it for a wink and a smile.

Point of the story.... you were lucky!

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
[snip]
The reason the car stopped, is because the broken v-belt came off and went through the timing belt, which jumped time. Numerous bent valves, big job. We were lucky, Arnie at LCU took it back to Atlanta on their truck, and fixed it for a wink and a smile.

Point of the story.... you were lucky!
Don't I know it! I am debating to fix the belt and drive in to inspect.
Or flatbed tow it to shop and make sure nothing else caused it the damage.

I was worried the belt remnant might fall into the timing belt area - exactly as you described. I am definitely lucky.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You should be alright if the engine was still running ok. Use an inspection mirror if you have to, to make sure you got all the belt remnants out.

Also once the new belt is on, check the alignment of the belt from the alternator to the crank pulley. The AL 49X alternator can fit a little differently and there are also some shims in the long top bolt. If it's off a little, that could be why the belt failed so soon.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
[snip]
Also once the new belt is on, check the alignment of the belt from the alternator to the crank pulley. The AL 49X alternator can fit a little differently and there are also some shims in the long top bolt. If it's off a little, that could be why the belt failed so soon.

Jim
Good point - I'm going to try and put the new belt back on and run a video camera up there to see how accurate is the alignment.

I would think if it's significantly misaligned, I would have hear some squealing, but only 48 hours before it broke did I hear any noise. Then again, that mid-engine position kinda drowns out those key sounds of 'regular' engines.

Thanks,

Eddie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts