The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut my rear mirror off and installed a Hella tire pressure monitoring system. <br>The head unit screws right intro the plastic mirror mount (after some adaptation). The sensors are valve stem replacements, so I had them installed on my 2nd set of tires/rims. ( Team Dynamic rims; RE01 tires (picture #1)
I do not like the tires that much - they are way slipperier than the A048's and don't feel very confident at speeds over 120 mph.<br>

The wiring for the Hella tire pressure monitoring system consists of two add-a fuses ( one permanent, on tied to the stereo- circuit ).

The system gives me tire pressue and temperature. It also warns if there's a sudden drop or if the value drops below a threshhold ( by beeping ).
You can set the tire pressure setting easily, as well as the background color for the display ( 8 to choose from!) <br>

The Hella system consists of a head unit and a reciever that I tucked away where the alarm / remote controller is. Beware the sharp edges though!
<br>
I also mounted the V1 to its left. It's a hardwired install since I forget to turn it off and almost ran the battery dry.:no: <br>

I don't get rear laser but the rear radar seem to work ok. The front radar detection is very good.:evil:

I did use the sun shade clip and put it under the screw-on panel. If you put a little wedge between the V1 and the roof you can have a pretty good angle ( see #2)

The rims are from BWR, ther tires and the pressure monitoring system ($280) from tire rack. <br>

I ran the wiring through the gap between the windshield and the plastic cover and wrapped it with friction tape in some spots. When you push it in the gap it seems to stay.
The V1 also was hooked up by an add-a fuse, so now harness was spliced. The hardest part was finding a good ground connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
How accurate the tire pressure/temp. monitoring system is it?
+1. Did you test it with various pressure levels as measured by a standard gauge? Very cool if it works.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The resolution is within 0.1 PSI; The accuracy - I don't know.
I have checked it with my psiclops gauge and it was within 0.5 PSI.
Tghe update takes about 10 seconds and the sensors transmit on pressure change or rotation.
I have seen the effects of teparature change.

I don't have either calibrated - but I believe it is quite accurate.
As far as the temperature goes - I have not cross checked it. It measures the temp INSIDE the tire - so I would not even know how to verify the reading. <br>

The install is quite painless - it took 3 hours; I took the top off and was very careful. But it can be done in less than 2h. The connector from the head unit to the reciever is a 3-wire cable less than 1/8 of an inch thick. the ends have crimped on metal connectors that are not yet pusheed into the connector. The reciver has an antenna cable and a three-wire input ( ground; permanent +/keyed +) <br>

I like it and I can recommend it. I had a friend adjust the tire pressure so the pressure is equal in the front ( and the back) when I'm sitting inside!

Only drawback is the sensors are $50 and supposedly last 5+ years.
I have installed that in two of my cars and the unit supports up to 6 tires + spare ( for a dualie(sp?) truck). They also make a model for motocylces ( I think ).

The sensors I had installed when I had the tires mounted - The valve nuts need to be torqued and I had a bit of a leakage that I fixed later.
<br>
I'm happy to give you more detail on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts