The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had a V1 in the car all of last summer, I just put it on the dash and it works great. BUT radars detectors are not legit in the area, so everytime I park the car I have to take it off and hide it under the seat, it`s getting to be a pain.

I have a concealed display I use on the street bike ( the skinny version from Ebay). I have seen the bracket for the V1 someone on here has for sale but I would rather have it on the upper part of the rear window on a tinted lexan box to hide it better. Anyway, my point is with that bracket where do you guys put the concealed display? Or do you just not use one at all?

I`ve been looking around in the car and can`t really find a good (hidden from outside) place for it, that is still easy to see from the drivers seat.

Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172/fs-valentine1-mounting-bracket-elise-exige-26841/

Here is the bracket I use - works very well - the V1 blends in between the seats up high with it - looks stock. I then put the remote display in the cubby below the light switches. One thing on the power - make sure if you hard wire it in your power cord stays shorter then 6 or 7 feet - a voltage drop occurs on longer runs - causing problems for the V1.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
^^ that's your best bet for a truly concealed display, somewhere in the driver side light switch panel or in the small cubby underneath. Quite a few people have installed the display there. The other options is somewhere in the centerline of the car, that's what I did, but it's visible from outside the car:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/my-interior-modifications-43516/

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats the bracket i`m talking about. I think it would hide it better ( looking from the back of the car ) if the V1 would be on the upper part of the back window, instead of the bottom. But i`m more concerned about the display right now the the V1.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have anything different?

PS: the display in the pod with the guages look really good, now I just have to get a turbo :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Has anyone mounted the V1 backwards by the top of the passenger headrest? This way you can see the display in your mirror.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Has anyone mounted the V1 backwards by the top of the passenger headrest? This way you can see the display in your mirror.
I mounted my V1 with a self made bracket connected below the rollbar cover. The unit was mounted upside down and backwards, so the arrows would be correct in the mirror (up for radar coming from in front of the car and down for behind the car). Worked out great for a long time till a mechanic broke the mount :mad:.

FYI I had checked with Valentine to ask whether this placement of the unit would affect the sensitivity or accuracy of the V1 and they said it would be fine.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I mounted my V1 with a self made bracket connected below the rollbar cover. The unit was mounted upside down and backwards, so the arrows would be correct in the mirror (up for radar coming from in front of the car and down for behind the car). Worked out great for a long time till a mechanic broke the mount :mad:.

FYI I had checked with Valentine to ask whether this placement of the unit would affect the sensitivity or accuracy of the V1 and they said it would be fine.
If you're not paranoid about hiding the detector, this is probably the way to go. It is mounted high, in a spot that doesn't restrict visibility and easy to see.

Do you have a thread about your bracket? Sounds like a scrap aluminum or hard plastic device.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats more along the lines of what I would want to do, but I was thinking to hide it, I would just make a lexan box and tint it a little so you can`t really see whats inside the box. so anyone looking at the car won`t know it`s a radar detector. But it`s still the concealed display I need to set up.

Did the mirror thing really work good? Like could you tell what the radar type was pretty fast?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
If you're not paranoid about hiding the detector, this is probably the way to go. It is mounted high, in a spot that doesn't restrict visibility and easy to see.

Do you have a thread about your bracket? Sounds like a scrap aluminum or hard plastic device.
I had mine made of plastic (probably why it broke). I would guess making it out of aluminum would work too. I unfortunately did not take any pictures of it. I originally got the idea from ScottyB who later changed his mount to sit on the lower part of window. If you wanted to disguise it just put a dark plate over the front. If the V1 is backwards you really can't see what it is through the rear window.

this is a pic from Reganfin

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
EC - up in Canada I see - I know Detectors are illegal up that way (as you mention) what happens if they catch you with it? If it's really harsh - I always thought a V1 mounted in the area behind the front grill (in an exige anyway) would be a sweet spot for concealment. Would take some work (maybe even having to take the clam off?) but would be the ultimate in concealment.

I am curious are you seeing any Laser up there? Do they have radar detector detectors?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks knucklehead thats exacly the setup I have in mind, thanks for the pic.

Benjamin. I don`t know the penalty, scared to check really. I`m guessing it`s a pretty big fine. Thats why I don`t want it in view lol. They do have lasers up here now, and i`m in the maritimes ( eastern canada ) so if we have it, everybody else in Canada has it. As for radar detector detectors. I have never seen one myself, but I was told a couple cops do have them. I have never turned the V1 off so far and didn`t have any problem. On the Valentine`s site they claim it can not be detected. Anyone ever have theres detected before?

The behind the grill idea would be a really good idea and would be really easy to do. There are catches to that tho, every time you drive in rain, or even wash the car you would have to take it off. ( I have that problem on the street bike and it`s a pain ) The other thing thats not so mush of a big deal but is still nice to have is the rear view screen. In the front grill there would be no way to detect radars behind you. But on the positive side, no body would ever find it hidden in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts