The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

2012 Lotus Exige headed to U.S. as track-only car

Lotus was forced to axe the Lotus Elise and Exige from the U.S. lineup due to the expiration of a smart-airbag exemption and the discontinuance of its Toyota-derived 1.8-liter motor. After producing a couple farewell packages, Lotus unveiled a revised Exige S for the European marketplace that features a Lotus Evora S-derived 3.5-liter supercharged V-6 producing 345 hp—nearly 100 more horsepower than the Exige S260. It appears the Europeans won’t get all the fun as Lotus has confirmed with us that the new Exige will be coming stateside as a track-only car featuring full roll cage, racing seats and harness, electrical cut-off switch, et cetera and will be priced in the area of $85,000–$90,000.

Despite being 300 pounds heavier than its predecessor, the new Exige S is expected to get to 60 mph from a stop in as little as 3.8 seconds and hit a top speed around 170 mph. This is a few ticks of the stopwatch faster in the zero-to-60-mph time and a massive 20 mph faster in top speed compared to the outgoing car. In addition, the car also features a Dynamic Performance Management (DPM) system with three distinct driving modes: Touring, Sport, and stability control off. We also anticipate the Race Pack function to come stateside, offering a launch control system and optimized track-suspension setting for better traction out of corners.
Original article: 2012 Lotus Exige to come to U.S. as track car for $85?$90K

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well that sucks. Price is way too high anyways*. But not being able to get it federal is another strike.

So the Evora is the only car they are officially selling for a while?

*even at $70K the Exige is a tin can piece of crap for most Americans. $90K would have never been successfull.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
That kind of power will do major damage against Z06's on all but the longest straights!!!
At a price less than the Z06!! So westrock, what could suck about that?? That car would be unstreetable anyway by all but the ballsyest hardcore!!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Buy new one, just peel the vin sticker off your old Exige and apply in window. Problem solved.
Like the cops would know the difference lol
other than being a federal crime, and that the lawyers will know if someone hits you and is injured... your insurance company will walk away due to fraud, and you will be in a 500k lawsuit...

most people are not willing to expose themselves to the risk. unless you are Deitrich... lol

but otherwise, yea.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I was recently at the Lotus factory and was taken on a test drive in the new exige . We experienced the car on the test track , raining and on street tires . My opinion is the car is an absolute giant killer .
Lateral acceleration - fantastic
Mechanical grip - fantastic
The car feels very balanced and crisp around the turns .
Having owned several hi end sports cars including the stradale , gallardo, 996tt x 50 and a host of others the straight line acceleration is better in the exige than all of the ones I just mentioned .
At 95k fully raced ready it's a no brainer .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Car looks great but at $100k I think it's a tough sell. I would rather see myself in a barely used 911 GT3 RS for the same price and then I could drive it on the street as well. And if I wanted a race car you can buy GT3 cup cars at that price (or cheaper) all day long. Does this car come with a roll cage? Anything race-specific about it or is just the street version from Europe?

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
This is apparently no-news news. The way I understand it, you can bring in these cars without the help of the factory. Buy it in Europe, file the race-car papers with the Feds, and have it shipped. Is Lotus going to deliver it to your dealer for free and then give you a warranty?

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is apparently no-news news. The way I understand it, you can bring in these cars without the help of the factory. Buy it in Europe, file the race-car papers with the Feds, and have it shipped. Is Lotus going to deliver it to your dealer for free and then give you a warranty?
I would assume that it would be similar to the Cup 255 and 2-Eleven - no warranty, standard destination fee. So you are right. All this saves you from is dealing with an overseas dealer and all the import paperwork.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2012 Exige

I would assume that it would be similar to the Cup 255 and 2-Eleven - no warranty, standard destination fee. So you are right. All this saves you from is dealing with an overseas dealer and all the import paperwork.
It appears that DRB Wil want to make Lotus a money
Maker. If so they need to start making cars that not only conform to world wide regulations but also try and produce them in larger numbers so that they can sell at competitive pricing. At 90k this will sell to hard core middle class to the very wealthy. I would love to be able to drive my car to the track then drive it home. Even if it's cramped for a guy that is 6'1" and 198lbs!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
:crazyeyes: For $100k I would pass on it. I am also of the mind set of drive it to my destination do as I please with the car and drive it home. Also what about a spirited drive here and there??? How can I do that with a $100k that can only legally sit in the garage as I can't insure it, license it, let alone...if I get pulled over it goes to the impound yard.

I agree...mass produce the V-6 exige so that I can afford it...personally the exige "convertible"...like the wing/hardtop edition, but prefer the ability to "drop the top" when I please. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Import?

We will never get the 2013 street Exige S in this country, but why can't you import it? It used to be all overseas cars were specially imported. Can this still be done? I know our fuel is a little different so the ECU may need some tweaking, but that new Exige S is a must have.. any ideas?

·
Registered
736 Posts
^ From what I heard you CAN import it across the pond, But only to be used as a track car.
In another thread of the same topic, I heard someone already in the States has done so. Either has it on order still or has in his/her possession
Just like older Lotuses that don't meat the requirements for transport. You cannot import them for road usage. It has to be determined that will be used for 'off-road' purposes and never to be registered.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts