The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone replaced the OEM engine mount and 1st/2nd synchros with aftermarket parts like the ones from JAE?

I heard the aftermarket engine mount creates a lot of vibration - can anyone validate this?

I also heard the aftermarket synchros are hard to shift than stock. Can someone please confirm this as well?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Can't speak to the motor mounts but the syncros JAE sells are fine, I have no idea where you heard they cause hard shifts. Not using the right fluid in the transmission would cause hard shifts or a dragging clutch. If you have an early V-8 you might have problems (wear) in the shift translator, that can cause shifting problems. I had hard shifts (later V-8) which I fixed by lubricating the shift cables. The adjustment is also fussy, 1/2 turn one way or the other can make shifting better so try adjusting and take your time. Why are you changing syncros? Unless you have a lot of miles on the transmission, and/or you see a lot of brass in the gear oil and you are having trouble getting into first, you probably don't need syncros. Try changing the oil. Use Redline MT-90, takes 3 1/2 quarts. Make SURE you can remove the level plug BEFORE you remove the drain plug!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't speak to the motor mounts but the syncros JAE sells are fine, I have no idea where you heard they cause hard shifts. Not using the right fluid in the transmission would cause hard shifts or a dragging clutch. If you have an early V-8 you might have problems (wear) in the shift translator, that can cause shifting problems. I had hard shifts (later V-8) which I fixed by lubricating the shift cables. The adjustment is also fussy, 1/2 turn one way or the other can make shifting better so try adjusting and take your time. Why are you changing syncros? Unless you have a lot of miles on the transmission, and/or you see a lot of brass in the gear oil and you are having trouble getting into first, you probably don't need syncros. Try changing the oil. Use Redline MT-90, takes 3 1/2 quarts. Make SURE you can remove the level plug BEFORE you remove the drain plug!
David Teitelbaum
The JAE mount and synchros were replaced on a FE I'm about to buy. Just want to do my due diligence. Thank you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pchop, Check with Gonzo at exoticspeedshop.com (909-210-2645). He was modifying the synchros from JAE to make them work better. Not sure how often he sends a batch to the machine shop for modification, but you could ask him. His shop is in Ontario, California. He modified mine when he installed my Emco kit. Shifts great now.
He can probably make a suggestion on the motor mounts as well.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pchop, Check with Gonzo at exoticspeedshop.com (909-210-2645). He was modifying the synchros from JAE to make them work better. Not sure how often he sends a batch to the machine shop for modification, but you could ask him. His shop is in Ontario, California. He modified mine when he installed my Emco kit. Shifts great now.
He can probably make a suggestion on the motor mounts as well.
Yes Gonzalo is a good friend of mine. He has been instrumental in this process and an all around good guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Love Joe and Jay over at JAE, but as I told them, and I'm telling you. These transmit way too much NVH.

I'm going back to my stock ones this fall. I was hoping they would "loosen" up over this season, but to no avail.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love Joe and Jay over at JAE, but as I told them, and I'm telling you. These transmit way too much NVH.

I'm going back to my stock ones this fall. I was hoping they would "loosen" up over this season, but to no avail.
How much vibration are we talking about in comparison to stock?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Never mind the syncros, I would worry about the clutch! No good way to check it except from experience it gets harder to release when it is close to the end. Very subjective and not easy to tell without experience. That clutch is over $2500 just for the parts! If you are buying a Lotus you should get a PPI and it should include a scan for codes and a test drive besides a review of it's service history. VERY important to know when the last service was done on the timing belts. If it is out of date (or you don't know when the last service was done) you will be doing it and it is not cheap. Also when the last fluid change was done on the brakes and clutch.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts