The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got the 2000 V8 back from service. The work included transmission repair and installation of new C&R radiators and fans supplied by a forum member. After about 500 road miles the car appeared to be working fine; after a few runs the coolant level has stabilized correctly with no air or leaks.

Took the car to the track Saturday, and everything was good for the first two half hour sessions. Reasonable weather at only about 23 degrees C (72 degrees F). The cooling system was working as it should. Fans coming on at 100 degrees and keeping things nice and stable.

10 minutes into the third track session the battery tell tail light started flashing. Car continued to work fine. In the pits I was able to correct the light by turning the car off for a few minutes. However, after about two laps it would start to flash again. At one point I briefly had the ABS light as well, but it reset. Battery voltage at rest 12.6v and about 13.6v at idle, which seems normal.

Car worked fine at normal speeds during the lunch break, completed three more afternoon track sessions with the flashing light, and performed flawlessly on the 200 mile trip home from the track.

Can't find any reference to a flashing battery light as an actual warning. Thinking it may be related to the new fans, as this was the last work done on the car and the fault occurs after exercising the car a bit and presumably getting a bit of heat into things.

Any ideas appreciated. I haven't a clue what to check next as things all appears normal now. A little doubtful of Lotus electrics 'fixing themselves'. :)

Stu

PS Thanks to forum member Matt Halsey (mhalsey11) for providing the C&R radiators and fans.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Check the bottom of the alternator for black goo. You probably need to replace the alternator. There is a thread about the Cadillac Catera alternator as a replacement.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David.

Sooo, I miss read the tell tale light. The flashing light was the red engine coolant (upper left of centre tell tale cluster, newer dash). Guess the symbol looked kinda like a battery with my sun glasses on. :facepalm

Reading up a bit, seems the flashing light on the V8 indicates high oil or coolant temperature; glows solid for low coolant level. Thought my temp gauge reading was OK at just over 100. Might have to check the radiator work and/or oil coolers and that all fans are coming on.

Stu

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Check the level too. The level sensor gets all crudded up and can get stuck. Take the header tank off and wash it out with hot water. Make sure the hose to the overflow tank is not blocked and wash out the overflow tank. Fill the header tank and overflow tank. Check that the radiator is not full of debris blocking air flow. To do it right you have to drop the "cooling package" and disassemble it to get the radiator out. Before doing that make sure all 3 fans are running. You do NOT want to overheat the motor. Popping the head gaskets is EXPENSIVE to repair. Flush out the old coolant and replace it if it looks discolored or is over 5 years old or smells bad.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts