The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here knows this clutch unit?
I emailed the seller but he can't give me an accurate answer to my questions.
I asked if the clutch disc will work with my current AP twin disc plate.
He said, I need to buy two and use the pressure plate below instead of the AP pressure plate.
I told the seller the spec of each AP disc is 7mm in thickness, I asked if the
disc he was selling within the AP spec. He can't give me a definite answer.
I suspect the clutch is for the earlier single disc clutch not the twinplate AP racing clutch....any thoughts?

Helix Lotus Esprit 3.5 V8 Competition Twin Plate Clutch Rigid (plate 1) | eBay

Helix Lotus Esprit 3.5 V8 Performance Clutch Cover | eBay

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you need a new V8 twin plate clutch, check with GTO Racing in the UK. You can get a complete OEM Lotus clutch with release bearing shipped to your door for around $1500.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Be aware, the clutch package should include the TWO clutch discs, an intermediate plate, and the pressure plate which includes the throw-out bearing. It does NOT include the pilot bearing or the flywheel bolts which you should replace if you have to remove the flywheel. The dimensions of all of these parts is critical, there is no room for adjustment.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I think that single plate clutch might be similar to the one that Rob Carrier was telling me he developed last May (2011) while I was in the UK. I'm not saying it is, or that it is even compatible with the Esprit V8.

I was told that all of the single plate V8's were upgraded to the dual plate AP.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My interest is to find an alternative to AP clutch.
I'm not happy with AP clutch but I don't want to experiment if this will not fit.
As mentioned, the dimensions of these parts is critical, there is no room for adjustment.
unfortunately, the vendor can't elaborate much.
I suspect this is for early V8 with single disc, the vendor said I need to buy two and in need of different pressure plate....but there is an intermediate plate in AP clutch- another thing to worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts