The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best way to get a v8 ecu programmed? Is it possible to do it yourself? The only reason I ask that is I would like to try different programs to see which I would like best.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
When I had my 99 Esprit I sent ECU to a guy in Mass not sure if he is still around. Reprogrammed to 550hp and change some other code issues

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
As far as Lotus is concerned there is only the OEM stock and the HTU ( High Torque Upgrade). They do not provide a whole lot of documentation on either one. There are chips you can buy (not from Lotus) that have been modified to remove limiters on boost or cat deletes (Red Race chips) but you have to have sockets installed so you can switch back and forth between the stock chip and the Race chip so you can pass inspections. Using the race chip removes the "safety" limits that Lotus put in so they could offer a warranty on the car. IMHO the small gains in performance are not worth the risk of damaging the motor. A properly running Lotus V-8 is already more car than most ordinary drivers can handle. Adding more power will just get you into trouble quicker and damage a lot of expensive parts. A better way to spend your money would be on a driving course like Skip Barber and make sure your car is in the best stock condition you can get it to. For example, if your tires are over 7 years old they should be replaced. BTW, your ECU should already have the HTU. You can verify it by checking the labels on the case.
David Teitelbaum

·
My car sneezes
652 Posts
There's a lot of misinformation. Only Final Editions and S350 came standard with the High Torque ECU. Considering the High Torque ECU also fixes several issues, a large percentage of V8s have the HTU by now.

IMO, the High Torque ECU is perfect for the Esprit, it gives the perfect balance of reliability vs performance, You can arrange to have your ECU re-flashed through JAE.

·
Scott M
293 Posts
There's a lot of misinformation. Only Final Editions and S350 came standard with the High Torque ECU. Considering the High Torque ECU also fixes several issues, a large percentage of V8s have the HTU by now.
When talking with the Lotus corporate tech (Dave Simkin- Esprit guru), he told me with certainty my 2003 would have been built with the HTU ECU. However, his point of view seemed to change over the three years I've had informal chats with him. Maybe there is legit ambiguity on which came equiped and which didn't, if my "experience" is any indication.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts