The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, there has to be a way to do this ?!

Does anyone know whether the lower belt cover can be removed with the engine in the car ??? I've got the 2 bolts out, but I can't figure a way to jockey the cover out from the bottom or the top. It is loose and off the front of the engine, but alot of things keeping it captured from total removal. Is there a trick here, or do I need to remove other things --- obviously removing the coolant downpipes, H2O pump, etc. would make it easier, but I'd rather not remove anything I don't have to. The upper covers are both out already.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had the covers off many times... you do have to jockey it around. I also unbolt the PAS pump and swing it out of the way. The main coolant pipes usually need to be pushed away from the engine as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Flooby ---

I've got to drain coolant anyway to do some other things, so I suppose I will just remove the 2 main pipes coming from the t-stat housing. If it has to be ---- it has to be. I'll keep the P/S pump idea in mind as well if needed.

It would have been nice if Lotus had followed Ferrari's / Lamborghini's lead and put in a removable panel in the front bulkhead / firewall to provide access to the front of the engine. Even removing the seats to get at that is easy compared to this other hassle in very tight quarters.

access panel retrofit ???......hmmmm......now let's see.....where's my sawzall ????.......;);)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks Flooby ---

I've got to drain coolant anyway to do some other things, so I suppose I will just remove the 2 main pipes coming from the t-stat housing. If it has to be ---- it has to be. I'll keep the P/S pump idea in mind as well if needed.

It would have been nice if Lotus had followed Ferrari's / Lamborghini's lead and put in a removable panel in the front bulkhead / firewall to provide access to the front of the engine. Even removing the seats to get at that is easy compared to this other hassle in very tight quarters.

access panel retrofit ???......hmmmm......now let's see.....where's my sawzall ????.......;);)
Have you gotten your MP4-12C yet? There are 2 or 3 for sale in the US currently. If I could like the front bumper, I would get the white one in Beverly Hills.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it :)

The trick was to d/c the driver's side coolant downpipe (the one with the bleed screw in it) at the t-stat housing, and push it toward the engine...... then the cover can be snaked out behind the pipe, to the driver's side, and up and out ---- real PITA, though.

BTW, the serpentine belt tensioner and the water pump pulley MUST also be removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts