The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

So started a new thread for my engine whine issue as the discussion got mixed up with other things from my last post. As requested I've recorded the sound, actually made two recordings....

First this is with the engine fully warmed after coming back from a twenty mile or so drive. The sound is clearly audible on the recording although I would add that the phone recording compared to actually listing in person is a bit more muffled. Sitting in the cabin it has more treble and is more pronounced but as I said it is definitely audible on the recording.

IMG 0951 - YouTube

I have also recorded what it sounds like in the cabin from a completely cold start and you can hear that there is no whine at all and the engine sounds pretty good IMO.

IMG 0952 - YouTube

Once I get my mini back which is in the shop right now I'll probably be taking the car over to the mechanic, most likely next week as I'm having a few other things done and he can play around with this while he has the car. So before that I would like to get the input of the experienced and knowledgeable folks on the forum :)

Thx

Jerry

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
The car definitely did not sound like that when I drove it.

Since the only thing done by the previous owner was the belt change, I'd start by looking at the belt and accessories it drives.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Sounds like timing belt whine...but it's really really loud.

Alan

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would first remove the Power steering belt then alternator belt to eliminate them as a possible cause (though I first thought alternator bearing when I heard it) If its still whining then its either timing belt or timing belt tensioner pulley(s) I am guessing that the V8 is the same as the 4 whereby the belt gets tighter as the engine warms up, which may explain why its not there when cold?

·
My car sneezes
670 Posts
V8 just have one belt for all the accessories. So you can't just take off one belt.

You could pull the serpentine belt to confirm if the noise is coming from an accessory. My money is in tight timing belts though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
To me it does sound like a power steering pump. Does it make any different sound when you are turning? Usually it'll make more noise when being manipulated. Perhaps the fluid will be less viscous when warm so it'll make more noise if it is low or not pumping properly.

It doesn't sound like a belt personally, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I checked the power steering level (cold level) which seems good. I will be driving it a bit later today so will try the experiment with the turning and see if it effects the sound.

As for listening for the sound in the engine bay, I didn't think about listening from below. It was kind of weird that with the sound being so prominent in the cabin, it was far less so when I listened over the engine, like almost impossible to hear but I believe I could just make it out coming from the front of the engine area, basically where the accessory are. I'm not sure but I'm guessing if it was the timing belt that it would be more prominent when listening from above? So I'll try listening from below the car and see if its more noticeable.

Thx

Jerry

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I checked the power steering level (cold level) which seems good. I will be driving it a bit later today so will try the experiment with the turning and see if it effects the sound.

As for listening for the sound in the engine bay, I didn't think about listening from below. It was kind of weird that with the sound being so prominent in the cabin, it was far less so when I listened over the engine, like almost impossible to hear but I believe I could just make it out coming from the front of the engine area, basically where the accessory are. I'm not sure but I'm guessing if it was the timing belt that it would be more prominent when listening from above? So I'll try listening from below the car and see if its more noticeable.

Thx

Jerry
Even is the fluid level is good, it may still be the pump going out.. I'd still check it as a primary culprit.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you have a mechanic's stethoscope or a makeshift one, you might try putting it up to the power steering pump while it is running. In the very least, it will eliminate one more variable. As always, a process of elimination until you get to the source.

Roy

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
Is the air conditioning on? Check the far right climate knob and turn it on/off to see if it makes a difference. It should click when off.
Not sure how applicable to the V8, but I discovered just yesterday a bizarre AC setting on my 88.

If the fan is OFF, the AC compressor will STILL engage if the temp is set to MAX.

So make sure your AC is fully off (fan off, AC temp knob fully counter clockwise (at least on 88). When my compressor is running, it make a different sound that the V8 video. But helps to eliminate sources as TurboR said.

Personally, that sound seems like 'alternator charging a weak battery', but I defer to those who own a V8 like gmendoza - it's a different animal altogether from my understanding.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Something's not right there Eddie, compressor should not engage if the blower fan is not on. Will cause excessive system pressure and any number of other things. Probably a problem with the switch or a relay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts