The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a parasitic drain on my battery and found two fuse boxes in front trunk. Are there any more under the dash or engine compartment?? Thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
fUSE box in the V8 located at the hood (bonnet if u wanna be english) and at the trunk
(boot if you wanna be english again)near the battery.
Your parasitic could be a weak battery. Security alarm is nasty on a weak battery. My guess you don't have a short.

I can teach you how to test if you have a short OR CONSTANT juice..... if you wanna learn.

oh well, I changed my mind----Let me show you anyway:
1. Buy this http://tinyurl.com/c8jdc3n
2. Unhook your Battery positive (+) cable.
3. Clip the tester to the cable (+).
4. Touch the pointed end of the battery tester to the positive terminal of the battery (+)
5. Did you see a light in the tester? yep! you have short.
So, how to find the short.
6. unplug your fuse one at the time....I said....one at the time.
7. Did the tester light went off by unpluging one of the fuse? yep! investigate that circuit -- the short on that circuit.

Electrical short will make an old man very old.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Get out your owner's manual and it will tell you where the fuse blocks and relays are. If your battery is over 5 years old replace it. If it is newer get it load tested. If the car is not driven at least once every 2 weeks the battery will go dead unless you use a battery charger like a Battery Tender to keep it fully charged. I use it for 1 day every other week if the car is not driven. The alarm and the Engine ECU draw a large standby current and will kill a weak battery. That said you *could* have a drain so it is worth checking but not likely. Keep a potable battery pack in the boot for emergencies. Mine also has a little air compressor in it so I can pump up tires too.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
224 Posts
most likely the alarm system. If you don't start them at least once a week or use a tender
it will drain a brand new battery down in no time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome information-thanks to all that offered help. I was thinking it was the alarm or engine ECU......I bought a new multimeter so i'll give that a shot then try the maintainer I just bought too and report back. Thanks again. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems to happen to alot of V8 Esprits.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Both my father and I have V8's and suffered from the same problem from the car alarm just sucking the juice... go out into the garage after 3 weeks and the battery is dead. Got sick of having to jump it so installed a battery tender permanently (circled in red) and I just plug it in from under the bumper every time I park it like an electric car. Never have a problem anymore.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
On my '99 I managed to get the fuel door on the right side open and mounted a plug into the fiberglass. Now I just have to open the little fuel door and plug the charger in there.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my '99 I managed to get the fuel door on the right side open and mounted a plug into the fiberglass. Now I just have to open the little fuel door and plug the charger in there.
David Teitelbaum
That's a great idea!...:clap: it would be a lot easier than getting down on one knee sticking my head under the rear bumper. I'll have to figure out how to get the right side fuel door open and do the same.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! great wheels too. Orange is my favorite Esprit color! Thanks for posting the pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts