The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with one of my headlights. Occasionally, the drivers side headlight pod fails to fully open, as the outside bulb catches on the bodywork very slightly. The inside bulbs are glass and domed, whereas I believe a P.O. replaced the outer bulbs with ones which were deeper and therefore protrude further, thus catching on the fiberglass.
Are there any new plug and play replacements available that are better than the originals? Anything that would work that I could pick up locally, or are these units all from the usual Lotus suppliers?
Thanks in advance

Adam

·
:)
130 Posts
I'm having an issue with one of my headlights. Occasionally, the drivers side headlight pod fails to fully open, as the outside bulb catches on the bodywork very slightly. The inside bulbs are glass and domed, whereas I believe a P.O. replaced the outer bulbs with ones which were deeper and therefore protrude further, thus catching on the fiberglass.
Are there any new plug and play replacements available that are better than the originals? Anything that would work that I could pick up locally, or are these units all from the usual Lotus suppliers?
Thanks in advance

Adam
There are lots of posts on this, my suggestion would be go LED replacement. Personally I couldn't be happier. From memory I definitionally paid attention to the dimensions including the depth of the new lights, I didn't spend the big money on the top of the line brand name ones either. Total cost under $200 USD.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've ordered new bulbs, but have a question that's probably a little dumb....
What is the best way to raise the headlight pods to do the install? Should I raise them and then disconnect the battery?
Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, what lumen were the original headlights on the Esprit? I'd like to know for comparison sake.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
There is a knob on the back of each motor so you can manually raise and lower each pod.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't see that your V8 would be different than my 89 was. It is just a standard 5-1/4" sealed bulb. You can get a bulb housing/reflector set up that takes whatever kind of actual bulb you want. Look in the motorcycle world. Many Harleys used 5-1/4 headlights, including my wife's Sportster and my Chopper. This is just the first one that came up in my google-fu:

Then put the brightest light emitter you think your wiring can handle. HID, Halogen, LED, whatever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the manual knob info David.
Dr Hess, I’m having to switch out the Actual light unit as it is catching the bodywork as it raises and lowers. It was switched out by a PO and is not a perfect fit.
Anyone know the original lumen output though?

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
723 Posts
A standard H4 high beam puts out something like 1100-1500 lumens and draws 55-60 watts to do so. OEM Halogen sealed beams? I would think somewhat less. If the units now fitted take replaceable bulbs like an H4 or H1, you can put in higher wattage bulbs up to 130/100 watt if your wiring is up to it and you could exceed 3000 lumens.

I'm guessing if you're asking about lumens, you're looking at LED units. If so, do your research as there's lots of fuzzy bright product out there that bathes the foreground with bright white, and oncoming drivers with glare but doesn't give great throw down the road, or coordinate with existing optics. It's great tech, just some of the implementation is less than optimal. Might not matter in an urban setting. You know to look to the front bezel depth, but some of the LED bulbs are also deeper on the back side, so check that too.

I don't know the geometry of the V8 pods, but can you swap the offending unit inside/outside to get it to clear the bodywork? Anyway it should be easy to find quality 5 3/4" units, as they were standard for years.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used to just turn the headlights on and pull the relay out. Pods stay up. And yes, the actual 5-1/4" glass light unit is what I'm talking about. Or are you referring to something else?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dr Hess, I'll pull the relay, good idea. I think you mean 5 3/4 inch light units.
Snowy, thanks for the lumen and bulb info, very helpful.
Cheers
Adam

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,865 Posts
I always unplug the motor, then manually wind the pod into the UP position by turning the motor knob.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI, I bought new bulbs from vintagecarleds.com. Replacements plugged straight in and are a great upgrade. Took about 20 minutes for both.
I opted for the 3500 lumen bulbs, cost approx $190 for the pair.
Also available in 4000 and 5000 lumen.
Now my pods no longer catch on the Hella H4's a PO installed. Double HURRAH!
Adam

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,865 Posts
Let us know how easily they installed. Provide a comparison of the weight! (You KNEW someone would ask that, just providing a service) 😉 :p

So, you only got 2, just for the low beams? Or did you buy 4? <----assuming the filaments will only light when highs are switched on in the center positions, haven't looked at the wires in years...

++++++++++

(Years ago, I helped @yellow hornet install flat-faced Hella H4s, and we noted the lack of clearance at the shoulder of the flat-faced Hellas... as opposed to the domed shape of the OEM sealed beam lights.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carbuff, easy install. Unscrew headlight fascia once the pods are up (6 screws). Unscrew headlight bulb (3 screws). Plug in. put screws back in. You're done.
Primary reason for just switching out the low beams was exactly as you had mentioned, the clearance of the flat faced Hella H4's was not good enough. New domed LEDS clear the pods as intended.
Weight comparison....err........forgot to weigh them......my bad! LOL

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,865 Posts
Weight comparison....err........forgot to weigh them......my bad! LOL
Ha! :rolleyes:

Some older LED conversions have massive heat sinks. I see the picture of the svelte heat sink on the link you provided. That's good, as the strength on the roller-pucks in the headlight motors diminishes over the years. They ain't good at 'heavy lifting'.

BTW, you can redeem yourself by providing pics of the low & high beam patterns (with and without the original inner headlights blocked/covered). The website only shows them shining on a wall, which doesn't show actual lighting down a dark road. We are looking to evaluate 'hot spots' and evenness. 😁🌘

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
723 Posts
The website before/after photos also show a fair amount of light above the low beam cutoff, (you can suddenly see the mortar joints on the brick) I'd be curious if you get some flashing from oncoming drivers or if it's just an artifact of the photos. Bulb-only retrofits have spotty reputation for good beam patterns, and vendors and users both agree that beams are very hard to photograph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts