The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the spark plugs on my '03 V8, and I've noticed that some type of grease is used in the ends of the HT connectors to protect the integrity of the plug end connections --- also, it looks like the same grease has been used on the threads of the spark plugs as well to seal / protect them, too.

Normally, I would expect to see some sort of clear, silicone dielectric grease in the connector-to-plug joints and some sort of anti-seize grease on the plug threads. However, this stuff being used appears to the same grease at both locations and is light brown in color ---- looks just like regular chassis grease or something ---- rather than silicone or anti-seize ???

Anyone know what Lotus recommends to be used here ???? I can't find it mentioned anywhere in the service notes or parts manual. Is it a "generic" connection grease that I can pick up at the auto parts store, or is it a Lotus "secret sauce" type of grease ??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If it looks like a gold color it's anti-sieze on the plug wire ends. Anyone who would do that... oh boy...

I know this mallet will put the square peg into that round hole...

I don't think any harm was done but one never knows how the chemicals in these products can react to the componets involved. Petroleum products break down rubber... don't use Vasoline on those boot plug wires.

Just my opinion.

Robert

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Di-electric grease (clear and thick and messy) for the plug end to make insertion and removal easy so the wire doesn't get stuck. Silver or gold anti-seize (thick and even messier) on the threads (ONLY the threads) so the steel shell doesn't take the aluminum threads out of the head when removing. Not so much a Lotus recommendation as just good practice. Usually you don't have to use any additional di-electric grease, what is there is fine and only a small dab of anti-seize, more than a little just gets squished out and gets all over the place. You should torque the plugs in so you do not overtighten them. The anti-seize is Never Seize and it comes in a small bottle with a brush. It will last you a lifetime. Most auto stores will have it. Be sure to gap the plugs. While the plugs are out you should do a compression test just for record purposes.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts