The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
My '99 had a bad lifter tick when I first got it. It comes back from time-to-time especially if the car hasn't been run in a while. When I change the oil I use engine flush before the change and it has reduced the tick significantly. It can take quite a while for the tick to go away, basically the engine has to warm up. The ultimate fix would be to either replace the lifters or clean them. The tick doesn't seem to be doing any harm.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
An old mechanic's trick, you don't need a stethoscope but they are nice. Take a long screwdriver and place it on the spot you want to hear. Put the handle end against your head and just in front of your ear. The sounds will get into your ear by conduction. Good for pinpointing bad bearings, wrist pin slap, loose valves, etc. Next time you change your oil, before you dump the old oil, run the motor with some engine flush to remove the varnish in the lifters. The reason the noise goes away once it warms up is because the varnish softens when hot. The engine flush washes away the varnish. Any large auto store will have some. Follow the directions and then change the oil AND the filter.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts