The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with the 'window trim' on my 98 V8 doors.
The piece directly below the rubber weatherstripping at the bottom of the door glass requires some attention on my car. Could anyone photograph their same trim piece and show me how it should look?
The trim on both of my doors is covered in what appears to be black electricians tape, which is peeling off!
After some sleuthing on this forum, I discovered one of my car's PO's had indeed covered them in tape.
How should these trim pieces actually look? Are they covered or painted?
If painted, how are they removed?
Thanks folks.

Adam

Attachments

Wingless Wonder
Those are called 'Door Waist Seals' and should be painted in satin black.

Since your rubber looks OK, best practice would be to refinish them in place. It is a PITA to remove the pieces, in fact Lotus changed the number of attaching studs from 3 to 5 somewhere along the line. My parts book says "when replacing an earlier three stud fixing, fettle door to suit" 馃ゴ

I'd shove index card under the waist seal to mask there, and a 90 degree angle-bent card to mask next to the rubber.

If you screw it up SJ Sportscars sells the metal carriers and seals.

Wingless Wonder
The Forum was acting funky yesterday due to upgrades, let me try inserting that picture again.

Wingless Wonder
WARNING: Don't 'let this go'. Your window trim could end up like this. 馃槶

From this recently posted YouTube video:

Registered
WARNING: Don't 'let this go'. Your window trim could end up like this. 馃槶

View attachment 1258794

From this recently posted YouTube video:
Heartbreaking to see an Esprit in that neglected condition. In one shot it looks like even the aluminium is rusting LOL.

I found that a magic (permanent) marker works ok for small touch ups on the window trim, although it needs to be renewed occasionally when exposed to the elements.

Car Adicted
Some people shouldn't own an Esprit!!!!! Maybe a Suzuki Samari would be a better fit for that previous owner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts