The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill Reudgen can be reached at 860-274-8846 or cell # 860-48--8036 if
anyone is interested. Basic terms are
$1,000 over MSRP with a $239 conveyance fee. Check with him concerning anticipated delivery and keep in mind that recent (Sports Car Mag) report said, "...production can handle more than double the present (worldwide) production of 3,500 vehicles annually and may very well do so if demand rises."

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Talking with Tony Shute at LA, they're mindful of the M100 Elan debacleof a few years back> They don't to ramp up production too quickly and saturate the market. So don't expect them to increase US production over the expected 2300 or so for the first fiscal year (which I believ for Lotus runs Mar-Mar)

Chris

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense but what if there is an
explosion of orders from the upcoming,
Detroit, Chicago and N.Y. shows? The
last car I can remember having this much
early acceptance is the 'Z' back in 1970.
I wonder how they reacted (production wise) when everyone wanted one?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I Don't believe their's a Lotus presence at the Detroit show, and as far as I know the only other appearance at auto shows will be local dealer run (ie no LCU participation with the exception of a car or two) Spoke with Arnie opening day. Before opening at LA they had over 2000 deposits and were averaging about 2 a day per dealer BEFORE the show. Expected a big spike during after LA.

If memory serves, the S1 elise when it went on sale was a huge success with huge backorders, took something like 3-4 years for it to level out, then came the S2. and so forth.

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nick at the auto show mentioned that Lotus does not want to go through a boom and bust cycle. They would prefer to sell cars at a steady sustainable pace, even if that means keeping people waiting for the car.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I Don't believe their's a Lotus presence at the Detroit show, and as far as I know the only other appearance at auto shows will be local dealer run (ie no LCU participation with the exception of a car or two) .

Chris
Someone... Clyde maybe? mentioned that they were going to show some of the cars in Chicago. Damn... there was so much we talked about I am losing track of the details.

Where is Clyde? Did they give him some time off? :p

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hi Randy,
Got an email from Clyde today, he's worn out but I believe at work today.

Arnie gave me the impression that any presence at the other auto shows would be via local area dealers, with cars from LCU.
Chris

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Talked to one of the Lotus UK guys a bit about production & the S1 VS S2. On the S1, plans where only to make around 700 cars. It wasn't design to be done in volume. Hence the back log. With the S2 higher volume was in mind in the design cycle. If I recall it was also the time frame they moved to a new production plant. Considering how small a company Lotus is was surprised at such a short life cycle for the S1. The above seem like a good explanation of why and how the S2 came about.

On the Fed Elise production he did note they were going to take a conservative approach. The around 2400 per year is the plan. They have the ability to ramp up production, but they will take a wait & see approach. My guess, if the wait list holds up & they still have a one year or more backlog late in the year, production will go up.

Adding to the rumor mill, he did say there is early work on a module chassis. Most likely the next gen Esprit. However it would not be the bases for a new Elise. Of which he said there was not additional work being done. He touched on the waivers. My impression of this, Lotus may ask for another waiver at the end of the current term or at the very least the complaint version will be based on the current version.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was at the La show on 1/10 and was told by Arnie that the Elise would be at the Chicago auto show. Had I known that for sure I would not have flown out to LA for the show. I have family in the Chicago area which would be two good reasons to go to that show. Still, I'm happy I went to see the Elise. Problem is I probably have to wait 9-12 months since I'm about #50 at overseasmotors in Dallas.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LarryB said:
Talked to one of the Lotus UK guys a bit about production & the S1 VS S2. On the S1, plans where only to make around 700 cars. It wasn't design to be done in volume. Hence the back log. With the S2 higher volume was in mind in the design cycle. If I recall it was also the time frame they moved to a new production plant. Considering how small a company Lotus is was surprised at such a short life cycle for the S1. The above seem like a good explanation of why and how the S2 came about.

On the Fed Elise production he did note they were going to take a conservative approach. The around 2400 per year is the plan. They have the ability to ramp up production, but they will take a wait & see approach. My guess, if the wait list holds up & they still have a one year or more backlog late in the year, production will go up.

Adding to the rumor mill, he did say there is early work on a module chassis. Most likely the next gen Esprit. However it would not be the bases for a new Elise. Of which he said there was not additional work being done. He touched on the waivers. My impression of this, Lotus may ask for another waiver at the end of the current term or at the very least the complaint version will be based on the current version.
Hasmadi
said, "strategy is that we will always
have more than one car in production: a car in the Elise price bracket, and a
Supercar like the Esprit."

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The reality is they will go a few years before the next gen Esprit is out. The Esprit has gone out of production for the States and sold in such low volume to be a non-factor.In the meantime it's back to one model, lower price higher voulme to carry them.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will 'milk' the final 75 Esprits over the next year. Wouldn't think they'd wait much longer after that to let some spy pics out , just enough showing to tell people that another Supercar is coming.
Othrwise, Hasmadi would not have said
they always want two cars offered at the same time.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
At the rate they've been selling Esprits wouldn't think they'd have to milk them. Was Hasmadi refering to the entire Lotus market? Not sure if there still being made for the Euro market. In any case they are very early on the design. A good 3 years from having the next Esprit out. But as noted the plan is... Have even heard of talk of something between the Elise and Esprit. It will make it fun to see what happens.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hasmadi's complete response to being asked 'Lotus is accused of being a one trick pony. What plans are there for a successor to the Elise?' was: "Our long term strategy is that we will always have more than one car in production: a car in the Elise bracket and a Supercar. A successor to the Elise will be determined in part by customer demand, the availability of new technologies, and our responsibilities in terms of complying with new legislation. as far as the Elise goes specifically, we are constantly looking at
developing more variants for our customers. Ideas never come short in Lotus." I would venture to guess that the Exige could be a follow-up to the Elise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts