·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda sucks that Fred dumped it after 25+yrs. Any info on the topic??:mad:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
wow, so there goes the last dealer in CT :( I didn’t know it was actually gone, not that they ever really "owned" being a lotus shop IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, why would any dealer want to sell Lotus? There is only 1 model available (okay, S/non-S, IPS/non-IPS, 2+0 {really, 2+0?}/2+2). The total number of Evoras actually sold is like 1.5 per dealer per year? There is no lower-priced model currently available or on the horizon. The factory and organizational structure are in flux, to put it nicely. Most people here malign dealers on a regular basis (not me, I love my dealer, and as my car is still under warranty, I take it there even for oil changes). The total number of parts sold and re-sold here appears to exceed the actual number of cars produced by a factor of 5 (I can't figure this out; I guess they all keep getting replaced by home-grown fibre-fabbers, and CF parts?), so they're not making any money on service or parts.

And, how much traffic are they going to get for a new Evora for either $80k or $90k, when nice 2011's are selling mid-$50s?

I don't really mean this to be a rant, but at some point, I can see that a dealer can only afford so many hobbies. After all, they're running a business, while we're all a bunch of moonstruck calves.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Just because it sold does it necessarily mean that it will no longer be a dealer that carries Lotus?

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone bought the dealership, we just don't know who yet. The low volume finally put an end to a GREAT relationship for me!! Thwey were 10minutes away from house! Ouch!! Looks like
Waldir is my go to guy now!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I suspect we will see a lot more of this. I was in the UK visiting family and dropped in to the local Lotus dealer. They had just opened a $16M new Ferrari/Maserati dealership and had been a Lotus dealer for over 25 years. They told me that they were only officially a Lotus dealership until the end of June. When I asked why, they said that when they were negotiating their new franchise contract with Lotus, Lotus wanted them to write a check for $8M to continue with the franchise- they told Lotus to go take a hike. This may be happening in the US also?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Why NOT own a Lotus franchise if you are already selling other brands. It doesn't hurt to add another to the lot...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Why NOT own a Lotus franchise if you are already selling other brands. It doesn't hurt to add another to the lot...
I believe it is incredibly expensive to maintain the franchise, and the cost to floorplan cars to have on your lot is incredible. It requires some serious capital to stock parts and keeping trained staff handy. I can't see how it would work for the numbers these cars move. That being said, I still want someone local to do it!!!:sad:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Not to fret my north-easterner brothers, a GREAT source of mine tells me a new Lotus dealership will be up and running in the immediate future. The new dealer is simply going through the approval motions before making their announcement.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
100% correct. If a dealer has other franchises and a good pre-own department, having a Lotus franchise makes good business sense.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Not to fret my north-easterner brothers, a GREAT source of mine tells me a new Lotus dealership will be up and running in the immediate future. The new dealer is simply going through the approval motions before making their announcement.

Where?!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I suspect we will see a lot more of this. I was in the UK visiting family and dropped in to the local Lotus dealer. They had just opened a $16M new Ferrari/Maserati dealership and had been a Lotus dealer for over 25 years. They told me that they were only officially a Lotus dealership until the end of June. When I asked why, they said that when they were negotiating their new franchise contract with Lotus, Lotus wanted them to write a check for $8M to continue with the franchise- they told Lotus to go take a hike. This may be happening in the US also?
Not so for the US. Unlike the UK/Europe, in the US, dealers have much more rights/protection from such actions.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
TEASE!

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interested!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
YEEEEEAHHHH!!!! they are 15 minutes from me. I bought a Subaru from them before.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would truly suck for me! And they have none of the cars that were at Valenti. Might as well go to NY dealer.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Just got a call from them, yes, it's them. They have 4-5 lotus cars on lot now, spooling up for service mid november!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live right around the corner from the showroom--for those who are local, there are 4 Evoras in the old Mercedes showroom.

I've done a fair bit of business with Secor over the years (5 SAABs and 2 Subarus) and have always been treated fairly.

Seeing the cars in the showroom yesterday morning and the posts today help explain why Charlie Secor paid so much attention each time he's seen me pass his other dealerships in my Elise....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts