The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Valentine 1 plug problems

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnHanson1976 
#1 ·
Posting this to both Lotus and R8 boards, because those are my 2 fast cars, and both have big problems with the V1 power plug.

In the Lotus (07 Exige), the thing doesnt push in all the way, "dangles by a thread", often flickers on and off, and falls out with the slightest yank.

In the R8, it is such a tight squeeze to get the plug in, the door to the plug is strained to the max in the open position, stressing the receptacle.
Link

V1 website has various power adapter accessories, presumably to address problems like this - what do you guys use?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The Lotus power point is more shallow than what we use in the US. Radio Shack makes a power point that will work in place of your OEM one. I just hardwired my V1 in so I don't have to fiddle with any plugs.

#3 ·
yes. skip the plug, do the hard wire. Wires are always hidden on my cars. Much cleaner look, more reliable. 30 minute job at worst.

Tip: When you do have wires around cockpit, dash areas, you can use zip-ties stuck into seams to secure them w/o any lasting damage.

#4 ·
for my phone charger, i just stuck a little cardboard in there to shim it tight....

and agree, just hardwire it for both cars, so much easier. get a tap-a-fuse.

#6 ·
the radio shack 12vdc plug socket swap is a direct replacement for the lotus power socket. Now i can finally plug in my cell charger nice & snug. It's like $8 and easy diy.

#8 ·
Don't fear the hard wire option Timbo. Just cause the word hard is in the phrase does not make the job hard it is easy and like the others say about 30 min. Just think if you hard wired it in you would not have to plug it in when you start up your car. One less thing to have to remember. Now that is easy! There is a hard wire kit on ebay that is easy to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.