The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Yea... seems about right.

Every time I park my Elise somewhere far away from every other car in a lot (at least 20-30 spots open on either side of me), I come out to find some moron, usually in an SUV or lifted pickup truck, parked 3" from my driver's side door.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
****, looking at your picture reminded me to suggest you back into these parking spots. Backing out with SUVs on either side is just looking for a disaster. You won't be able to see anything out of the back and sides, and its a prime time for an accident. Leaving front forward will give you a lot safer exit plus peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Surferjer said:
****, looking at your picture reminded me to suggest you back into these parking spots. Backing out with SUVs on either side is just looking for a disaster. You won't be able to see anything out of the back and sides, and its a prime time for an accident. Leaving front forward will give you a lot safer exit plus peace of mind.
unless, of course, you live in certain cities in CA where backing in gets you a $25 ticket.

worst traffic law... evar.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
BrianK said:
unless, of course, you live in certain cities in CA where backing in gets you a $25 ticket.

WTF?!

Our tax dollars hard at work as usual... some overpaid moron sitting behind a desk got sick of playing solitaire one day and decided to make themselves useful :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BrianK said:

Seriously, what is the point of that law?!?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
MickOpalak said:
Seriously, what is the point of that law?!?
I would imagine that the piggies don't want to have to get out of their cars when trolling for stolen vehicles(assuming there's no front tag law).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
_JD_ said:
I would imagine that the piggies don't want to have to get out of their cars when trolling for stolen vehicles(assuming there's no front tag law).
I think it's more for checking to see that your registration is current, being that the reg. stickers are not required on front plates.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
For most of the cops in my area, getting out of a crown victoria is a huge ordeal for the overweight, overpaid pricks that call themselves "police".

I'd love to see one of these guys try to chase down a criminal on foot.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Surferjer said:
Very much agree. Almost found out the hard way.

Better yet, park somewhere else. Farther away.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I don't like backing into spots, as the nose of the car is very low and I fear people hitting it as they pull into and out of adjacent spots. The tail is high and abrupt, making it easier to see and avoid.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
backing in eh?

I watched a handfull of elise owners back into their spaces at the norcal Halloween meet - I'd say more than half of us obviously had trouble knowing how much further back the curb was when backing up.

several of them went like this...

mmm... back a few more inches ...
crane head all around ... nope, back a few more inches...
again twist neck in awkward positions ... okay, lift the clutch and pull back one final inch. Done! Engine off! Parking break!
Then they'd get out and find they were four feet from the curb.

heh.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
hehe
I wish I could spin my head around like that!
What a great party trick that would be!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
MikeAR303 said:

Every time I park my Elise somewhere far away from every other car in a lot (at least 20-30 spots open on either side of me
you're bringing the attention on yourself for needlessly parking so far away

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
doma said:
mmm... back a few more inches ...
crane head all around ... nope, back a few more inches...
You forgot the part about stalling the engine. About 3 of us, me included, managed to stall while trying to reverse into the parking spaces :eek:
There's so little visibility when backing up that I prefer to drive head first into a parking space and then reverse out slowly.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
do you have a larger pic! That is the most hilarious thing ever. Looks like someone shrank the car.

thanks!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
doma said:
Then they'd get out and find they were four feet from the curb.
I did that just this afternoon - backing into a space in the parking garage at work today. Every other time, I've pulled forward thru the adjacent spot - first time I've backed into a spot...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shay2nak said:
do you have a larger pic! That is the most hilarious thing ever. Looks like someone shrank the car.

thanks!
Sorry, no. It was taken with my camera-phone.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Doma, quit watching me backup! In all seriousness, it does take some getting used to in the Elise to figure out how far to go. But I'd rather back into a spot I KNOW is empty than back out into the path of a Pennsylvania Blue Hair with her 1977 New Yorker slowly going by....:rolleyes:

Also, I like the front of my car almost flush with the ass of other cars so that it's more visable to people trolling for a parking spot. Leaving extra space behind poses no issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts