The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day, I knew my way around a Chevy smallblock pretty well. It's the only engine I've ever worked on. The curiosity is killing me, so I want to pop my valve cover off and take a look at the lobes. Is there anything I should know before doing this that is more complex than just undoing the bolts, popping the damned thing off and taking a peek? I know there are engine numbers both above and below mine that have the cam issue, and I need to know if I'm screwed or not. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Nothing special here. There are the bolts on the cam cover and you have to remove the vent. Reuse the gasket.

Pretty simple really. should take about 10 min.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I put nothing on the gasket...but I did use blue Loctite on the bolts. dont know if that is right...but I did it.

As I recall...there are also two bolts under the spark plug covers.

Edit...basically if does not come right off easily....very easily...you missed a bolt.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Also, it is easier if you remove the studs in the valve cover for the vent/breather tube after you remove the attaching nuts. Toyota was nice enough to use studs with male torx ends so it is easy to remove them. This allows you to pull the valve cover straight up and off the head without disturbing the rigid vent tube.

The basic procedure for removing the valve cover is as follows: Remove the plastic engine covers over the spark plugs/coils and fuel injectors. Unplug, unbolt, and remove the coil packs. Remove the nuts and studs for the vent/breather tube. Remove the hold down bolts for the valve cover, swing the electrical harness for the coil packs out of the way and pull the valve cover straight up and off the engine. Reassembly is the reverse of the above directions. Make sure the valve cover gasket is clean and free of lint or grit before replacing the cover and the vent tube gasket is correctly back in place. You will also want to shave off the small dabs of silicone sealant that were applied at the seam where the timing cover is bolted to the front of the head and place new dabs of sealant at those two spots just before placing the valve cover back on. If you have any trouble or don't understand something, feel free to contact me and I hope you find your cam to be in perfect condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts