The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently built motor with rev400. Built up the bottom end. JCR head etc etc....

Was at the track and got a misfire. Maybe I should've pulled off, but I didn't like where I was, and limped it back off to the pits. Cylinder 4 misfire. Thought it might just be a coilpack or something random. I pulled coilpack #4 and swapped to #3. Got a misfire in both.

Tried to remove plug 4 and it was really hard. Here's the result of that:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger Tire

This was my 5th track day with this setup. And it was the 2nd lap of the 2nd session. First session was short and moderate pace, not pushing it. I was starting to push it here. Seemed to happen under a braking zone to a right hander.

Really not sure what could've caused it. Or what route to take. It looks like the heads coming off at least. Any direction or advice is appreciated. Also have a note out to Andrew at BOE for direction.

·
Administrator
7,252 Posts
Maybe do a leakdown test prior to pulling head. That will give you a baseline. Did you ever get it on a dyno after your build to check the tune and afr? Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
It was hard to get that plug out because you used needle nose pliers.
Do you have a Borescope? If not, maybe someone can lend you one so you can see what things look like before you go the route of pulling stuff off.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe do a leakdown test prior to pulling head. That will give you a baseline. Did you ever get it on a dyno after your build to check the tune and afr? Good luck!
Yea, 325whp on 93. 335whp on 100.

Andrew thinks maybe a failing injector that caused that one cylinder to overheat.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was hard to get that plug out because you used needle nose pliers.
Do you have a Borescope? If not, maybe someone can lend you one so you can see what things look like before you go the route of pulling stuff off.
Well I used a standard spark plug socket. Took more force than I remember to loosen it. Once loosened it was just wobbling around in there but not coming out. Eventually pulled it with the needle nose.

Don't have a borescope. But looking to order one off Amazon or see if local AutoZone rents it out

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woah! Do you monitor EGTs and/or AFRs? That's a lot of heat to completely melt the bottom.
I wasn't running my aim recording at the time. Wasnt really running it that hard until maybe right around then. Even then, maybe 8/10ths. But no. No data. I guess the thought right now was maybe a failing injector in cylinder 4

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The pliers comment was hoping to get you to laugh during what looks like a stressful time. Figured you used a socket.
Where are you located? I thought you were in the.Boston area.
I could lend you a scope.

·
Registered
968 Posts
How did the other 3 plugs look? If they looked fine, then a problem with that fuel injector does seem likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pliers comment was hoping to get you to laugh during what looks like a stressful time. Figured you used a socket.
Where are you located? I thought you were in the.Boston area.
I could lend you a scope.
Yea sorry lol. Went over my head. And yes a bit stressed. Also yes, more specifically Newton, ma.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes only pulled #3 next to it. Looked very normal.

Still at the track. Barely have signal and trying to call AAA. Not much fun at the moment.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
You have a PM when you get a moment

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who built the motor and was this a canned tune from BOE?
I brought the car to boe for all the work. Tune was on their Dyno. Getting a dyno tune on their Dyno was one of the main reasons I traveled halfway across the country vs generic tune based on mods.

But built up the bottom end, lowered compression. JCR head and cams. $$$$

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought the car to boe for all the work. Tune was on their Dyno. Getting a dyno tune on their Dyno was one of the main reasons I traveled halfway across the country vs generic tune based on mods.

But built up the bottom end, lowered compression. JCR head and cams. $$$$
Yikes.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also have a scope you can borrow Yousef. Though it is not top quality. Works well enough for me. May be cheap enough to pick one up. here's mine: by DEPSTECH Authorized Store
Learn more: DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet -Black(11.5FT): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific I'd definitely want take a look down there.
Hi Kevin,

Chris (lotuscc) just reached out to me to see if we can meet up tomorrow. Actually Henry also reached out to let me borrow his. Thankful to have such friendly local lotus owners.

I have nothing going on tomorrow, so I might start looking into it if I can get over the the disappointment of today.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Take it as it comes and in stride. You'll sort it out in the end.

1 - 20 of 294 Posts