The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Elise with the factory SC.

Only happened twice, but I'm getting a slight rattle on start up (1/2 second or less).

Searched but didn't find mention of this anywhere. I'm running Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40.

Is this normal? Something to be concerned about?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
305 Posts
google "lotus angry alligator"

·
Registered
956 Posts
I just heard it too for the first time. Didn't scare me one bit however, I'm used to it with the 5.4 Triton Ford V8. It's just slack on the timing chain until the tensioner gets pressure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
google "lotus angry alligator"
Thanks for the tip....seems normal then. I'm at just over 5K on the engine (bought at 3472).

Sorry for my weak search-fu. I guess it helps to have the right terms.

Searching "valve train rattle" and "rattle on start up" didn't yield anything.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
What oil filter are u using. I never heard that. Only on the gmc with 200+ miles after sitting 2 weeks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I would pull valve cover and check for worn cam or broken rocker arm. Takes 15-20 min for peace of mind

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine seems to rattle audibly while idling and sitting still, but as soon as I rev it just a bit the rattle disappears, once the revs go back to idle I hear it again???

·
Registered
144 Posts
How loud is it? I've had a very soft rattle on startup for a while which I thought was caused by a cracked exhaust weld. But its still there after i fixed the exhaust

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd say on a scale of 1-10 it's about a 6 for volume, but it definitely disappears when throttle is applied

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts