The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm going to lie and say that I didn't cry for a second or two over this. :)

I had my Elise in our driveway with a cover over it. I went to get in it this morning and found that someone had slashed a huge hole in the soft top and apparently tried to figure out a way to start the car by cracking open the section where the "Engine Start" button is. (They also left a can of Pepsi on the passenger's seat - cause' wrecking people's property probably makes you really thirsty). And yes, I called the police and they took the soda as evidence. (Really holding my breath on that one)

Luckily, I have another soft top but I don't know what I'm going to do with that panel. Both clips at the top are broken off so it can't snap back into place. Everything still seems to work except that the Engine Start light is constantly blinking now - I think it just needs to be replaced, right?

The car was locked but I didn't have the alarm armed because last week it started to go off every 10-15 minutes (I was *planning* on having that looked at). If you know of any reason why the alarm would be mis-firing I'd really appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Here is a nice picture of the panel: img.ly photo sharing service for twitter

Again, any advice would be much appreciated.

It is an '05 Elise with 9K miles by the way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
maybe it was "misfiring" because whoever did this to you was making it go off so you would turn it off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I bought a CF piece that this panel fit's into and I have the same issue. Due to fitment, the tabs do not hold (would if they were longer, but not the case). HKFEVER recommended I glue a piece of plastic to the back that will stick out above the tot and slide behind lie a new "tab" (not onto the slots, just behind overall. I tried but the plastic I used was too flexible so will use something more rigid. Should work though. Post #8 on thread

Group Buy CF Doorsills and Panels Installation Tips (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe it was "misfiring" because whoever did this to you was making it go off so you would turn it off.
I don't think so. I'd park it, go into a store for five minutes, and the alarm would be going off when I got back. This happened about five times before I decided to disable it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a CF piece that this panel fit's into and I have the same issue. Due to fitment, the tabs do not hold (would if they were longer, but not the case). HKFEVER recommended I glue a piece of plastic to the back that will stick out above the tot and slide behind lie a new "tab" (not onto the slots, just behind overall. I tried but the plastic I used was too flexible so will use something more rigid. Should work though. Post #8 on thread

Group Buy CF Doorsills and Panels Installation Tips (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
Thanks man - I'll give that a try!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Need piece to be pretty stiff, I am going to try cutting a strip from an old credit card, then gluing two pieces so double thick. Then adhere to the back of the panel with about 1/2 inch tab showing. you can make even longer as there is room back there. Tried a plastic glue that uses a kind of primer first but it really did not work well. Might try plain old silicone caulk/adhesive, and let it dry overnight. Does not need to be too strong as the stress on it is not too much, but some glues just crack apart on plastics.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Sometimes a twitchy alarm is due to the interior light being in the UP position, versus the down position.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your responses.

I know it is just a car... but I can't help but being a little pissed.

Best,
Reed

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The one time I left my car unlocked, someone went through it and stole my GPS. It was slid halfway under the passenger seat but they spotted it. They dug through the paperwork, but left my CDs alone (because they were all old fart 70s rock and roll music). Alarm is always set now. Perhaps a pager which sends a text message when the interior light comes on would be good.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Jeez!

Where I live I could set a sack of money out in my driveway and it wouldn't go anywhere. I very rarely park in the garage as there's almost always something torn apart in there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't think so. I'd park it, go into a store for five minutes, and the alarm would be going off when I got back. This happened about five times before I decided to disable it.
It could be your 'IR' sensor in the car, I believe their is a way to change the settings via the interior light, but I forget. With that being said the stock alarm is JUNK! :tadts: I don't know why Lotus chose Cobra of all brands..

I usually just manually lock the car and keep the hard top on.. a garage is the best solution though. I'm surprised anyone would try to steal a Lotus to begin with, the stock immobilizer is a PITA to disable even with the damn dongle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As far as replacing/fixing the panel.. buy a set of driving lights and replace the broken panel with the new one that contains the driving light switch.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had my Acura stolen and I know how much it sucks.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
The panel isn't very expensive.
It costs $27 on Lotusgarage, or you could just post a WTB thread.
I'm sure there are people who upgraded to a three switch panel (in case you need the one with only two switches) or who have installed CF.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
The panel isn't very expensive.
It costs $27 on Lotusgarage, or you could just post a WTB thread.
I'm sure there are people who upgraded to a three switch panel (in case you need the one with only two switches) or who have installed CF.
Nothing sucks more than having a car and personal items violated by theft/vandalism.

the start/light panel is a poorly designed part.
I actually had to replace mine a few years ago as the little tabs and broken off on their own without even touching the panel at all.
i tried to use tape, epoxy, etc. but it never quite held up
but a new panel did the trick the proper way.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just wanted to thank everyone again for your responses.

I know it is just a car... but I can't help but being a little pissed.

Best,
Reed
you should be pissed... i would be furious if this happened to me & probably wouldnt sleep well for a while

it isnt just a car, its your personal belongings that another person is disrepecting (whether its a Lotus or a Ford Probe)

nothing i would love more than to catch people in the act of these kinds of things while i had a some sort of trap set up :thwack:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, would someone please verify that I've found the correct part? I'm looking at the "19 Switch Panel, 2 switch, federal, LH" here: Lotus Garage - Interior Trim, Chassis Trim Panels

(my Elise has the Engine Start button, and two buttons for the lights)

Also I couldn't find a replacement Engine Start bulb. Is this a standard part I can pick up? (I know I saw posts on this before but I can't find them now)

Again, thanks for the support.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts