The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Details for the first Vandelay Racing Simulator League are listed below. This league was put together to hold a weekly racing event using the simulation game Project Cars. This league is open to anyone that the overall group deems is a good fit. While we are competitive this is all in good fun with the expectation that all those participating are racing with gentlemen's rules. While contact is part of competitive racing every effort should be made to keep contact to a minimum with those not adhering to this being sanctioned with possible exclusion from one or all events. All are welcome regardless of skill level, if you are new to sim racing and worry you'll "loose" remember that the primary goal is fun and I assure you that finishing first or last you will have a great time.

League Details are as follows:

Sunday Nights starting at 9 pm EST
Simulation Game: Project Cars
Project Cars Session Name: Vandelay Racing
Project Cars Session Password: lotus
Track: (Determined on a weekly basis by the collective group)
Cars: Any GT4 racecar
Format: 10 or 15 minute practice and qualifying sessions followed by a 10 lap race for position

Additional Software Needed: Teamspeak (for voice communications in-game). A headset is strongly encouraged and for those that decide to use a microphone/speakers instead may be asked to mute their mic if feedback/echoing occurs)

Vandelay Racing TeamSpeak Details

League Schedule
Week 1
Race 1: Laguna Seca
Race 2: Willow Springs
Race 3: Road America

Week 2
Race 1: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

Week 3 1/24/16
Race 1: Sonoma Raceway GP
Race 2: Brands Hatch GP

Week 4 1/31/16
Race 1: Circuit de Barcelona (night race)
Race 2: Sakitto GP (Suzuka)

Week 5 2/7/16
Race 1: Mount Panorama (Bathurst)
Race 2: Azure GP (Monoco)

Week 6 2/14/16
Race 1: Nurburgring GP
Race 2: Hockenheim Ring GP

Week 7 2/21/16
Race 1: Silverstone GP (rain)
Race 2: Imola

Week 8 2/28/16
Race 1: Dubai Autodrome GP (night race)
Race 2: Road America

Week 9 3/6/16
Race 1: Watkins Glen
Race 2: Monza GP (night & rain)

Week 10 3/13/16
Race 1: Le Circuit Bugatti (LeMans)

Finale Tie-Breaker (if necessary)
Race: Nurburgring Nordschleife (1 lap)

For those that are joining for the first time please be sure to email me (Ross) before then event so you can be added to the appropriate mailing list and provided details for the weekly event (server name, password, Teamspeak details, etc).

Looking forward to seeing you all in my mirrors!!

-Ross

For additional details, such as league results and standings or details on how to get into sim racing and what's needed please see the posts below

Setting up a PC based simulator - a quick guide
My Custom Triple Screen Racing Simulator

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a quick bump hoping that a few more guys can join @Vulcan Grey (Travis) and I for some racing tonight. Either PM me here or on email at ross at jasbone dawt com.

Hope to see you guys tonight!!

-Ross

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUMP BUMP BUMP!

Now that it's winter and most of us are stuck with just the virtual racing world to get our track time I'm hoping we can make this happen. Anyone out there interested in joining in?? Please feel free to suggest other times or games, if we can get 5 guys to join we'd have enough to do some actual racing, with less we can just have some laughs driving with each other. Of course the more the merrier and the better the racing.

So come on guys, who's in?!?!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know after using my project cars setup @Devin0420 now has his own with project cars.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know after using my project cars setup @Devin0420 now has his own with project cars.
Same thing happened to me, a fellow track rate (Cayman S driver) came by to see my setup and the next day ordered the same Obutto cockpit I have. He's since upgraded from a G25 wheel to the Thrustmaster TX and Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals. He also just went from a 40" TV to 3 27" monitors and had me build him a beast of a PC very similar to mine. He's not quite as addicted but it's certainly growing on him.

While these things aren't cheap you also don't have to spend a ton. If you already have a decent PC, from say the last 2-3 years, you could run iRacing no problem. For under $300 you can find a used Logitech G25 wheel which isn't a bad place to start at all.

So flip, can you join this Sunday?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Same thing happened to me, a fellow track rate (Cayman S driver) came by to see my setup and the next day ordered the same Obutto cockpit I have. He's since upgraded from a G25 wheel to the Thrustmaster TX and Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals. He also just went from a 40" TV to 3 27" monitors and had me build him a beast of a PC very similar to mine. He's not quite as addicted but it's certainly growing on him.

While these things aren't cheap you also don't have to spend a ton. If you already have a decent PC, from say the last 2-3 years, you could run iRacing no problem. For under $300 you can find a used Logitech G25 wheel which isn't a bad place to start at all.

So flip, can you join this Sunday?

This Sunday should work for me but I think we still have that Steam issue where I can't find/add you.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This Sunday should work for me but I think we still have that Steam issue where I can't find/add you.
I had the same problem with another friend and we fixed it by him joining a private Project Cars server that I'd setup and once connected I could add him to my friends list by looking at the recently played list. We could perhaps try that to get connected.
@Devin0420 Honestly I'm not sure - I just dropped him a note to see if he got the CSR Pedals instead and I'm just confused. I do think he said V3 as he was considering trying to find a used set of V2 pedals (which I have). The main thing I don't like about the V3s are you can't invert them. I run with my brake and clutch pendant style with the throttle floor mounted.

So far it seems we my have Devon, Flip, Vulcan Grey and me for Sunday, now we're talking...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm the one Ross is referring to with the new Obutto setup and Club Sport v3 pedals. They are in fact the v3 pedals, not the CSRs. I ordered them from Fanatec about 2 weeks before Christmas and they came a couple of days later. My guess would be they had a run of them and sold-out, and are waiting for another run. I remember seeing them as pre-order this summer, with an August target date (IIRC).

Also, I should be able to make this Sunday at 9 ET.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the site @cshogue, see that was your first post. Glad you've stepped out of lurker status to join us.

Seems we're starting to get a decent sized group for Sunday, should be fun.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just updated the first post with details for what we'll do Sunday night. I'm suggesting Project Cars at Laguna Seca in GT4 racecars. We'll need something for voice communications so I'm thinking we can all just join a Google Hangout for that. I did look into getting a Ventrillo server setup and could get a 40 user server for $7/month which I'd be happy to pay if we think that would be better.

So for those that are planning to join please send me an email to ross at jasbone dot com. That way I can create a mailing list for everyone and can invite everyone to the Hangout. Please share your Google account with me, if you don't have a Google account let me know if you're willing to get one or if you'd prefer to use Ventrillo. Once I have everyone's email addresses I can create and send messages to the mailing list, probably something like simracing at jasbone dot com.

Looking forward to this guys, think it would be cool if we could get a somewhat regular evening going that way folks can join if they can since they'll know when it is.

-Ross

·
Registered
277 Posts
I currently have the t3pa pro pedals and I do like them since I can use them inverted, but I hate having no feedback in the pedals and the spacing adjustment is minimal. So far I'm looking to preorder the next run of v3s but do you have any other recommendations?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far I'm looking to preorder the next run of v3s but do you have any other recommendations?
Well I haven't used the V3 pedals yet so I can comment there, perhaps @cshogue will chime in so I'd recommend the V2 pedals. I may go by Chris' place sometime soon'ish to check them out as I am also curious about the differences.

There were a few reasons I went with the Fanatec's over the Thrustmaster, first was look. I'll admit I sorta hate diamond plate so went I saw that on the T3PAs it turned me off right away. Second I love how the V2s invert, in that you can invert each specific pedal. Seems cooler/realer to have the clutch/brake hanging pendant style with the throttle floor mounted as many racecars use that setup. Third the build quality on the V2s is typical Fanatec - meaning fantastic. I can't say the T3PAs aren't well built but that diamond plate just screams cheap to me (but that's a totally personal bias). Finally as the V2s had been on the market a while I felt like they were more of a known quantity, plenty of reviews singing they're praises so I felt like I was going to be happy - and I am.

As I think you know they are highly adjustable with a sensitivity knob on the pedal and adjustable spring rates. I have mine set so you have to really stand on them to get to 100% so it's very difficult to lock the brakes on a car without ABS. The feel is excellent, virtually everyone that's tried them comments on how real the brakes feel. The difference from the stock pedals that came with the TX wheel is laughable, like tracking a '85 Jetta vs. a '06 Exige! I cut 2-3 seconds per lap off at Laguna Seca in iRacing the day I installed the pedals since the feel is just so much better.

So there you have it - down the line I hope to upgrade to Derek Speares pedals as they look unreal:

Attachments

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump - just updated the first thread with details on Sunday night, 1/10. See you guys on track!

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump - new details added and original post shortened and clarified now that the league is up and running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts