The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a step-by-step installation video of a VDO Visions vacuum/turbo gauge (30-0 Hg in/ 0-15 psi) in an 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo.

Lotus Esprit Turbo VDO vacuum boost gauge upgrade - YouTube

It should be ready 12:45AM PDT Friday 6/14

This was inspired by Sanj's photos of installing the same in an 1990 SE model. However, the 90 SE dashpod is significantly easier to access (2 screws and top comes off). The 88/89 dashpod must be removed as a unit and there are some removal/installation order to be followed; otherwise it wastes time undoing your previous work.

Not sure how applicable to other model years, but may be useful to most folks for the routing/connections.

There is no drilling or cutting involved but some careful routing/connections.

Use the time index values in the beginning to skip around for reference. It's about 38 mins long, but I felt the value of seeing how it's done in detail is very helpful.

For those with dialup that would like a DVD or those that cringe at the low resolution on youtube, send me a PM and I can send you either a standard DVD version or an AVHCD 1080p version on DVD (Blu-Ray quality). The original version was recorded in 1080p.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Nice vid! Just to clarify, mine was a '90, the '89 SE has a dash very similar to yours, albeit with wood panels.

·
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice vid! Just to clarify, mine was a '90, the '89 SE has a dash very similar to yours, albeit with wood panels.
Hi Sanj: Thanks - I corrected the original post.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That is a great video, thanks for taking the time to put it all together! Going to give it a shot. I bought the same gauge as yours about a month ago, just have not had the time to do it but now I am inspired.

Thanks!:clap:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts