The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exige should be rolling off the truck on Wednesday. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go for a vehicle inspection?

-chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, didn't want to start a new thread, since this question's still relevant (I'm in Temple and am game for driving to Austin)

I've never registered a car in TX before. How does this safety inspection thing work? I understand I don't have a smog check in my area, but what is involved with this state inspection? Do they do anything more involved than checking lights/windshield wipers/etc? Is the Lotus different in anyway from another car?

Will there be any problems with the fact a FF275 turbo came installed on the car I just bought from out of state?

Sorry for the list of questions :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi, didn't want to start a new thread, since this question's still relevant (I'm in Temple and am game for driving to Austin)

I've never registered a car in TX before. How does this safety inspection thing work? I understand I don't have a smog check in my area, but what is involved with this state inspection? Do they do anything more involved than checking lights/windshield wipers/etc? Is the Lotus different in anyway from another car?

Will there be any problems with the fact a FF275 turbo came installed on the car I just bought from out of state?

Sorry for the list of questions :)
Pull into just about any oil change place. They make sure your lights, wipers, and blinkers work. You pay your tax and you are on your way. That's what I do.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...they also pull out calipers to measure tread depth, which has bitten me on a couple of occasions, along with replacement wiper blades...

...how's your OBD read?..since earlier this decade, i've noticed them checking OBD as well...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
...they also pull out calipers to measure tread depth, which has bitten me on a couple of occasions, along with replacement wiper blades...

...how's your OBD read?..since earlier this decade, i've noticed them checking OBD as well...
They have never gone to that length with me. It's quite a racket to begin with so I'm not surprised. I'll find out soon enough as my inspection is due this month.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here's the list of what they check -
Items of Inspection

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

·
Registered
274 Posts
It depends where you go. Some places (like quick oil change places) will try and nickel and dime you on things like wiper blades or tread depth. Other places will just write you a sticker as long as the car has no visible sketchiness and passes OBD.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm not sure if they do OBD checks here in san antonio (bexar county), but they definitely did so at my last inspection before i left austin (travis county) back in 2005; emissions rules vary by county in texas...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Bell County, and there's apparently no sniffer here. But, there should be a visual inspection of emissions. Thing is, I believe the car has a testpipe. Bought from a guy in FL which has no emissions regs apparently.

BTW I'm Californian, and out there this car would probably be a no-go by OBD. But no sniffer here. I am curious on how exactly the visual inspetion is done onthe emissions (i.e. exhaust) with the diffuser and undertray in place...do inspectors remove to see? I imagine not, but yall tell me...

From what I understand, I need this silly inspection before I can register it in TX. Maybe I'm spoiled, but there sure are silly hoops to jump through out here. In NV and CA I just register the car....smog is separate and nothing like a "safety inspection" that I need to get outside of the DMV as it is here in TX...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Bell County, and there's apparently no sniffer here. But, there should be a visual inspection of emissions. Thing is, I believe the car has a testpipe. Bought from a guy in FL which has no emissions regs apparently.

BTW I'm Californian, and out there this car would probably be a no-go by OBD. But no sniffer here. I am curious on how exactly the visual inspetion is done onthe emissions (i.e. exhaust) with the diffuser and undertray in place...do inspectors remove to see? I imagine not, but yall tell me...

From what I understand, I need this silly inspection before I can register it in TX. Maybe I'm spoiled, but there sure are silly hoops to jump through out here. In NV and CA I just register the car....smog is separate and nothing like a "safety inspection" that I need to get outside of the DMV as it is here in TX...
kind of what i'm getting at. say you go to a shop that sells mufflers or cats, they're going to be a bit more "thorough" in their visual inspection. another shop that just does inspections is just going to check the obvious stuff. ask the car guys in your town, i'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...safety inspections are a hidden tax - note that our registrations are waaaaay cheaper than california...

·
Registered
22 Posts
haha, so get this. I pull it into a jiffy lube -type place for the inspection. Got a lot of "that's tiny." Not my fault Texans are so big. Anyway, the funny thing was one guy kept saying, "smell that? That must be racing fuel." Here's me glancing around nervously, hoping they're all still in the "it's an exotic" state they're in. "Is that a 6 point harness?" Anyone who was doing they're job right would have failed my car.

Other funny thing was the registration. My TX title is coming in with a gross weight of 3500 lbs. hehe. Lady behind the counter pulled out a nada guide, and I was thinking she was looking up market value or somesuch thing for taxes. Turns to her officemate and says where can I find a lotus? After an exchange they said to each other that they can fiddle the numbers. First lady says, "I dunno, 3000?" The other lady says start 3500. I didn't realize they were talking about weight until I saw the receipt. I don't think she realized the 1978 on the out-of-state title was real. THis was the second tax person I saw that day--the first one put it in the paperwork as a model year 1978 Lotus. WHen I told her how much I paid, she said, wow, must be in great shape...I didn't understand what she meant until I looked at the form listing 1978 as the model year.:)

And man, all of these obnoxious stickers on my windshield! The inspection place just slapped it on without telling me, and put it too high. And now that I have the registration sticker...! Why doesn't TX have plate tags? I guess no one cares when they're looking through the windshield of an F350...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Other funny thing was the registration. My TX title is coming in with a gross weight of 3500 lbs.
this is probably not a good thing: registration fees could be based on the weight of vehicle. (it is in NY state)...

funny about the 1978 story, hehe...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Allan's is legit

The Lotus service center up on 183 and Brushy Creek doesn't have their license to to state inspections yet. I went to Allan's on Lamar. It was quick and painless.

·
Registered
425 Posts
not a lotus but hope when i move out there i can find a shop to pass me.. it will pass the scanner but doubt the visual unless they don't care bout a certain thing..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts