The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill be in very north Vermont this weekend.

any lotus friendly areas, roads? i should check out?

anyone in the area want to grab lunch?

how are the roads this time of the year?

·
Registered
613 Posts
From my recollection, VT does a very good job of maintaining good road surfaces on major highways, like 89, 91, but not so good on secondary roads that would be more fun. You may find a lot of frost heaves.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have been to VT on a couple of occasions with the family. Here are some of the things we found.

If you will be near Shelburne, Shelburne Museum has a little of everything - literally.

http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/

Vermont Teddy Bear has a fun tour and they are just down the road from Shelburne Museum. (Good place to find something to take back home to wife/kids.)

http://shop.vermontteddybear.com/tour-essentials.html

In St Johnsbury, there is the Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium. The museum is small but interesting. The planetarium has the best planetarium show I've ever seen.

http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/

There are hundreds of covered bridges if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.virtualvermont.com/coveredbridge/

Vermont is famous for its cheese. A factory visit might be interesting.

http://www.vtcheese.com/vtcheese/charliestory.htm

Ben & Jerry's (actually in Waterbury) has already been mentioned.

One of my trips was in my MINI and we found some entertaining roads if you get off the Interstates - especially if you get into the mountains. I can't reconstruct my routes at the moment.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the decision, the word is, the 3 mile road uo to the place we are headed has been manured:huh:. and is quite"muddy" i really want to take the elise.. but not sure how i feel about getting stuck in that! kind of mud...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,710 Posts
There are many good secondary (two-lane) roads in VT.

The road through Smuggler's Notch (North of Stowe) is a good one!

My Aunt used to own the ice-cream stand on Rt 100 just north of Stowe. Ben & Jerry, move over! (Although that IS a good tour.)

Just watch out that your chosen route doesn't become GRAVEL. Some of the state routes are gravel, still. -eek- Can anybody comment on whether the cinders from the winter road-sanding are washed off, yet? If not, leave the Lotus at home.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Last year I did a 4700 mile round trip from Chicago to the east coast in 5 days in the Elise. I went through NY, VT, NH, Mass, and Main; Basically New England.

VT is outstanding.
Try to drive route 17 through Camels Hump state park. It is a very fun Mountain road.
Next head toward Smuggler's Notch (yup this is a real place) This is home to the tightest two lane twisty road in America. This can be found on Scenic RT 108 just north of Stowe.

And if you find yourself on the West Side of VT, take a slight detour and head over to Ticonderoga. The Fort is cool - but Route 9N south to the town Lake George is absoultely Epic. And there is a pretty good BBQ joint in the town of Lake George.

Enjoy the ride... you'll love it.

P.S. Most of the natives in VT are either a Stoner, a time lost hippie, or just a crazy b*tch. Most importantly, stay the hell out of Newport VT - Specifically the organic coffee shop in that town... C R A Z Y People.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so a quick run down of my weekend.drive up was quiet and uneventful. last exit off 91 is were we headed. 3 miles south of canada border.
the roads were plain. nothing all that fun, though stayed on th highway most of the way. very easy to go fast. sat tried to find some fun roads, the twisty one i found were all dirt roads....
went over the boarded and drove a bit came back and at the boarder check point totally drove over and spit out the only traffic cone in a 3 mile radius..lol typical...

on our way home decided to take the scenic route. drove into nh took the 302, and the kangamangus highway. the 302 was ok, more for the sights, though even those were limited as it was a very low ceiling and misty. still, ok.
rt 112, the kangas, WOW! will it were dry out, though even in the slightly wet roads it was amazing! closest to canyon carving ive ever been. very well worth the detour.

then home.

i noticed the traffic flow north of ct was 80-85 with the left lane an easy 90-95mph. made for a quick ride home.

also of note, the best long drive ive done in the elise ever. sunday drove 550 miles in 10 hours, and though my ass was slightly sore, wasny bad at all.

on all 1064 miles

not one other lotus did i spot.
north vt has a big ricer community...lol
you need a passport to get back in to the us from canada..
at one point in nh i paid 4.09 a gallon for gas.
post pics in a min...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow big pics, ill work on making them smaller

1 - 16 of 16 Posts