The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home tonight I was beside a guy in a lifted truck for a little while, and he ended up behind me at a red light, and to my amazement, right when he stopped behind me he turned his headlights off so he wouldn't blind me. Turned 'em back on when the light turned green and we started to take off.

I was very surprised. Even normal trucks can blind you, but his would have been really blinding. Having the rear window tinted helps a ton. Anyone ever had anyone do this too?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thank god for no rearview haha. Living in the south, I get my eyes owned every single time

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
wow. You only ever hear of the bad things happening. That's awesome. I wish people did that around here, but in CA people that drive lifted trucks aren't exactly the considerate type.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Good to hear, but I think that the consensus is that for everyone of the considerate types there's at least ten douchebags. Refreshing nevertheless.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That happened to me in my Miata a couple of times. Once was a JEEP Wrangle who until that moment I'd considered to be among the most idiotic drivers on the road.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i am in shock...

Similarly, i do turn my headlights off when i pull into a business when people are sitting outside.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had this happen. Some SUV or other. The guy must also own a low sports car. :bow:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've only had the lights thing happen once or twice.

Though I recently encountered another surprise consideration from a lifted truck. Sitting behind the guy for a while, I got a great view of his lift, his oversized off-road tires, his Raiders bumper hitch cover, and his "Taintstick" bumper sticker (I don't remember what the rest of his stickers were). Naturally, I formed an opinion. Later, I ended up in the lane next to him, and needed to get into his lane. Threw my blinker on, expecting to fall in behind him. He managed to see the blinker, give me space to merge in front of him, and kept a safe following distance. Possibly the most considerate lifted truck I've come across, and completely not what I expected from my first impression. Gave him a big thumbs up to say thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I do this when ever it applies.

But more often than not... You would be surprised at how agitating it is to be a big truck driving among cars...

I can not tell you how many times I have had some ding bat stop waaaaayy to quick in front of me....

Do people not pay attention to the fact that my vehicle weighs twice or three times theirs and needs much more space to stop...

And it will be my rates going up when I hit a wet spot and annihilate their car....

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
I can not tell you how many times I have had some ding bat stop waaaaayy to quick in front of me....

Do people not pay attention to the fact that my vehicle weighs twice or three times theirs and needs much more space to stop...
You probably realize that if you do hit that fast-stopping car ahead of you, YOU will be cited for following too closely (no matter any extenuating circumstance). Of course, it's tough to deal with when you leave enough space, then someone dives in front of you and slams on their brakes.

I get pretty irritated when I have to blow a red light in my sports car because the idiot behind me is following so close that even if they have a tenth of a second reaction time, they'll rear-end me if I stop. I've even done that in front of cops and seen a few nods of approval as if to say "...thanks for not making me fill out an accident report at the end of my shift..."

Glen

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rear spoiler for me

Have NEVER had considerate truck drivers behind me, even before I had the Elise. But this is why I love my rear spoiler, it blocks their headlights so that I am not blinded by my rearview mirror.

Driving home tonight I was beside a guy in a lifted truck for a little while, and he ended up behind me at a red light, and to my amazement, right when he stopped behind me he turned his headlights off so he wouldn't blind me. Turned 'em back on when the light turned green and we started to take off.

I was very surprised. Even normal trucks can blind you, but his would have been really blinding. Having the rear window tinted helps a ton. Anyone ever had anyone do this too?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I drive a truck and do the same thing. I also turn them off in drive thrus. I learned the habit from another truck driver, my boyfriend, who drives a lifted monstracity truck. Not everyone falls into stereotypes.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
this happened once to me. I gave them thumbs up. I love when people are cool like that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That would've totally gotten a wave and a thumbs up from me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts